Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: used pump affect production?

Default used pump affect production?

Question - I have a used Ameda Purely Yours. It was previously used for a year by a mom working full time (a good friend of mine). I got all new parts and as far as I can tell it seems to be working fine.

However, I've been pumping 4 days a week 3x in 8 hours and getting 7-8 oz per day. I added an extra session at night and pump one side while DD feeds on the other in the AM. I always pump at least a few more minutes after milk stops to encourage more milk production.

Nothing has had any impact at all on my output. Then this week I started cranking the suction all the way up (used to put it on half power) and have been getting 1+oz extra per pumping session.

I worry that my pump isn't doing as good a job as it should be doing to encourage more production, and this new development is great, but I'm now maxing it out. Does any of this make sense?

I want to pump more milk (without supplements - Fenugreek was disasterous) and am so jealous of the ladies who can get 4+oz per side!
    Mama to Beatrice Maxine born 8-3-08
    , ,

Default Re: used pump affect production?

I haven't heard of friends having trouble with used pumps, especially if you have replacement parts and the air hoses and all are in good shape. Have you been back at work for a while? Your body might be getting used to a slightly different schedule. Also, does the full suction cause discomfort? I've had friends who "cranked it way up" when they wanted more production, and it ended up resulting in pain while pumping.

I pumped at work for about 7-8 months after returning from maternity leave, and found relaxation to be the ticket. Granted I'm fortunate our company has private lactation rooms on each floor. Aiming to get as comfy as possible, I'd sit on the floor and read the newspaper while I pumped, or sometimes close my eyes. Also I tried to not look at the numbers on the side of the bottles because those darned things just get a person upset about "how much did I pump today?".

Just some thoughts, hth

Trish
    Mommy to William, 4/29/09, 7 lbs 13 oz, 21 inches.
    Mommy to Evan, 3/18/06. 7 lbs 3 oz, 21 1/4 inches.
    WOHM! Nursed both boys to 14 months!
    Student Doula with Childbirth International
    Wisconsin!

Things that would help encourage more milk would me massage, relaxation and increased pumping/nursing. Since you probably don't want to add more pumping massaging and compression might help a lot, so can relaxing.

The "single user" pumps are really designed with a motor to last a single user probably a year or two. Although I suspect most of them would probably last a lot longer. Since the actual motor is probably the only thing you didn't replace that would be the only part that might be hindering an increase in output. You'd probably see your supply slowing going down though if it were failing.

That's the thing, I do all of that stuff - massage, compression, am able to let down just fine, eat boatloads of oats, etc. Nothing makes a bit of difference.

I guess the thing that threw me was getting more when I cranked up the suction. Would a pump with even better suction do even more? It does hurt a little bit but it's worth it to get the extra milk. 3 oz is another whole bottle!
    Mama to Beatrice Maxine born 8-3-08
    , ,

take it to the lactation store at the hospital or some other place that sells them - they can check the suction and see if it is still functioning well
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

You don't want to crank the suction up too much, you can damage breast tissue. If it hurts, it is too much mama.

I am not familiar with the Ameda pumps...is that a hospital grade? I didn't have much luck with personal pumps, I had to go hospital grade.

How long have you been pumping? I know it probably isn't what you want to hear, but you sound like you have pretty normal pump output. In the first few months it can seem like you should be getting a ton of milk because most moms have oversupply, but then things start to even out and it can go way down. I used to get somewhere between 8 - 12 oz per session, now I am lucky if I get 3.

I do take supplements now, and there are a lot of others besides fenugreek you could try.

Good luck mama...
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?