Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pediatrition :( rant

Default Pediatrition :( rant

My baby turns 1 the end of this month. Our ped is also a family friend... Ped does not think that beastfeeding past one is benificial 4 babies in US and even when the WHO recomendations are brought uo still disagrees. She said that in poor countries it is benificial but not in US. I have not decided how long to nurse at this point (I go back and forth), but I have little support from friends and fam to continue much past now... Ijust wish ped was supportive because then I would at least have that

Default Re: Pediatrition :( rant

Well, if you're not interested in finding a new, pro-BFing doctor, then you will just have to come here for support! Because there are definitely lots of mamas on here who think that BFing past 1 is an EXCELLENT idea.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

It sounds like your pediatrician and friend is sadly misinformed. I'd ask her where she is getting her information and whether you can have access to some of her sources. My guess is that she doesn't have any and she is making a judgement about it based purely on her personal opinion.

If you think it would help, you could print off a whole bunch of info about why BFing past 1 is beneficial for mama AND baby. Even if you decide to go to a different pediatrician, I think it would be a good thing to at least expose this one to a few facts about it. Just think of all the mamas she is convincing to give it up!

Here are a few excerpts from the above link:

Benefits to the child:
    The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that "Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child... Increased duration of breastfeeding confers significant health and developmental benefits for the child and the mother... There is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychologic or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer." (AAP 2005)

The American Academy of Family Physicians recommends that breastfeeding continue throughout the first year of life and that "Breastfeeding beyond the first year offers considerable benefits to both mother and child, and should continue as long as mutually desired." They also note that "If the child is younger than two years of age, the child is at increased risk of illness if weaned." (AAFP 2001)
    Benefits to the mother:

• Breastfeeding reduces the risk of breast cancer (References). Studies have found a significant inverse association between duration of lactation and breast cancer risk.
    • Breastfeeding reduces the risk of ovarian cancer (References).
    • Breastfeeding reduces the risk of uterine cancer (References).
    • Breastfeeding reduces the risk of endometrial cancer (References).
    • Breastfeeding protects against osteoporosis. During lactation a mother may experience decreases of bone mineral. A nursing mom's bone mineral density may be reduced in the whole body by 1 to 2 percent while she is still nursing. This is gained back, and bone mineral density may actually increase, when the baby is weaned from the breast. This is not dependent on additional calcium supplementation in the mother's diet. (References).
    • Breastfeeding reduces the risk of rheumatoid arthritis. (References).
    • Breastfeeding has been shown to decrease insulin requirements in diabetic women (References).
    • Breastfeeding moms tend to lose weight easier (References).
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Paige gave a lot of great info.
    This will probably sound terrible, but I stopped telling my ped about our extended breastfeeding. She never had a problem with it, but always had a comment about him not sleeping and still nursing at night. So when she asked how nighttime was going, i'd just say "great!" and not mention his wakings. i figured its not hurting anyone if she doesnt know
    I figured I know my son, and this is what works for us.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I'm sorry, but that is flat out wrong and it doesn't even make sense Why if something coming from a probably malnurished mother is beneficial to her baby, wouldn't milk from a mother in the US be beneficial.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

My ped once told me there was no benefit to BFing beyond 8 months , which is clearly nonsense. So I decided not to discuss BFing with him anymore. In other respects he's a wonderful doctor and I really don't see that whether or not I BF my son beyond a year (make that two) is business of his any more than how many carrots or pieces of toast I feed him! I don't think doctors are qualified to give parenting advice, but he does a great job of checking that DS is in good health.

If your ped is a family friend, it might be awkward to change to another ped, but it really is none of his business whether you continue to nurse your own child. Do your own research and make the decision that is best for your family. Here's another link. I don't think it's any better than the links or info PPs have provided, just another website to look at:

http://www.parentingweb.com/lounge/ext_nursepage.htm

You could also see if your local library has books on nursing toddlers such as this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mothering-Nurs.../dp/0912500522
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

Great info listed above, just wanted to say keep up the good work on bf'ing your lo. You and your child should be the only ones deciding when to end your bf'ing relationship. Sadly, many doctors are not up to date on current bf'ing info (which always makes me question what else they're not up to date on...) But, anyway, I agree with the pp's, either change dr's, try and educate your friend/pedi a bit, &/or don't discuss it with her and move on.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

This is sort of off-topic but I have decided to stop lying to my pediatrician. I think they are so misguided on some things and I wonder if it is because moms lie to them. For instance, sleeping "through the night". I work with about a dozen moms in my department. The majority told me I was "lucky" when my son started sleeping through the night at 7 months. If that's lucky, then why do the peds think there is something pathological about it. I am going to confidently tell them the truth about our sleeping, solids, breastfeeding, etc. Hopefully, it will give the people in my practice some perspective on the heterogeneity of babies.

(I know this isn't for everyone. Sometimes you just want to get in and get out and escape the unwanted parenting advice.)

go to your ped for medical advice and care, not parental advice
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    go to your ped for medical advice and care, not parental advice

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!