Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6mo---Wean from PUMP

Question 6mo---Wean from PUMP

SOMEONE HELP: I breastfeed after work 4pm, 7pm, 10pm then 1-2x during the night the last one being usually 4:30am. I then pump at 9:30am at work. I'm unable to pump any more than that. I finally get to nurse DD again when we get home around 4ish. I'm wondering if I could (during this break) just stop nursing her from the time we get up in the am until 5pm and NOT pump either. I'll just supplement with formula like the sitter does. Would the next six days be enough to decrease my day production so that I"m not uncomfortable during the day when I return to work "not pumping"? I have noticed that on weekends I have trouble meeting her demands anyways so I usually end up supplementing 2 oz per nursing session anyways. I really NEED to stop pumping at work because the space Im using will no longer be available and I"m only getting 5 oz approx each time I pump anyways. No where near her daily demands. My sitter has been supplementing half and half using some freezer supply. My supply took a dip when my period returned last month.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND IM READY TO STOP PUMPING. I ALREADY KNOW WHAT I CAN DO TO INCREASE DAY PRODUCTION BUT THATS NOT WHAT i WANT TO DO.

She does get 1-2T rice cereal and fruit at 7ish after the 7pm nursing session. She also gets one more serving around 10am with sitter. Not really "on solids" just testing the waters.
    Mom to Savannah (2yrs old--BF till 12mo)
    MOM to TREY (19 yrs) didn't breastfeed

Due AUG 2010 with 3rd child
    Plan to at work and at home.

Default Re: 6mo---Wean from PUMP

Sure, it sounds possible. Making this transition while you have six days off work is a great idea!

You'll most likely feel some discomfort at first when 9:30 am rolls around. If you need to pump just a little bit to reduce the discomfort, it's okay. Ideally, you'd only need to do that for the first few days.

Another approach would be to pump for a little less time each day during this six day period, so that you get to zero minutes by day six.

You could try using green cabbage leaves, too. They help reduce swelling. Take a leaf, crumple it in your hand (to break the little veins), then open it back up and place in on your breast, inside your bra. They're used for engorgement during the newborn period, but they are also recommended when a mother needs to dry up her milk production quickly (such as when a baby dies). So, it might work for you to use the cabbage leaves around that 9:30 am time. When they seem wilted and no longer cool and soothing, remove them.

When you go back to work after these six days, I recommend that you take your pump with you in the beginning just because if your body has not fully adjusted, you might be uncomfortable enough that you'll want to pump a little to reduce the pressure.

Good luck! You've worked hard at maintaining your breastfeeding relationship. Weaning from the pump at this point makes perfect sense to me.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader