Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tongue thrust

Default Tongue thrust

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that one of the signs that a baby is ready for solids is when he is no longer tongue thrusting. It seems to me that I would have to actually give him a solid to be able to observe if he is still doing this which doesn't really make sense if I'm supposed to wait on solids until he doesn't do it. Boy, that's such a jumbled sentence. I hope it gets across what my perceived dilemma is.When I give his some water out of a cup, he sticks his little tongue out like a dog lapping up water. Is that a sign that he is still tongue thrusting?

Default Re: Tongue thrust

Good question. . . I was wondering the exact same thing. Any thoughts, anyone?

These are two of the reflexes used to gauge when baby may or may not be ready for solids. I waited until dd was reaching for/interested in the food on our plates before I tried, and then I think the first food i gave her was avocodo slices, or maybe it was cereal. I dont' remember, but I just put it in front of her to play with. I don't really know when the tongue thrust reflex went away, but it did, and the gag reflex ended just recently--when she swallowed her first "chunk" so to speak of cantaloupe.

Tongue thrust reflex—When the lips are touched, the baby’s
    tongue moves out of the mouth. This reflex allows for feeding
    from the breast or bottle but not from a spoon or cup.

Gag reflex—When an object, such as a spoon or solid food, is
    placed way back in the mouth, the object is quickly moved back
    out of the mouth on the tongue. This reflex is one reason for
    waiting until a baby is 4 to 6 months old to feed solid foods.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown
    Gag reflex—When an object, such as a spoon or solid food, is
    placed way back in the mouth, the object is quickly moved back
    out of the mouth on the tongue. This reflex is one reason for
    waiting until a baby is 4 to 6 months old to feed solid foods.
    I am in my 20s and still have a very strong gag reflex...does that mean I shouldn't be eating solids? Sorry, not trying to be annoying or anything, but I had never heard that a baby needed to loose their gag reflex before he or she could start solids.

Wink Re: Tongue thrust

I dont rememebr where I read it but there are two stages to the gag reflex. The first stage is what they are usually referring to. It doesnt let anythign too close to the throat, not event he nipple. Beyond that it is what we know as the gag relfex as adults which it takes a lot to control sometimes. I personally cant stand bitter foods cause they makeme gag.