Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A bit worried ...

Default A bit worried ...

Sorry in advance for the book....

Okay, my ds is almost 5 months old (21 weeks), and I have felt that he is very healthy...until now. Yesterday when he woke up to eat (at 5:30 am) he stretched and I could feel EVERY rib!! Now, I'm noticing constantly how obvious his ribs are. He has never been pudgy, but at his 4 month check up he was 13 lbs, 13 oz (he was 6 lbs, 11.5 oz at birth--at 35 weeks), and that was in the 25-50 percentile. Now, though, with his ribs sticking out, I'm really worried. This is his schedule:

Somewhere between 4:30 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. he wakes up to eat.
    He gets a 5 oz bottle of BM at day care three hours later (goes to day care at 7 am), and has two more 5 oz bottles every three hours throughout his day.
    He nurses when we get home (usually around 4:30 pm)
    He has a few bites (may 1/4 teaspoon) of cereal mixed with BM (if available, if not, I use formula) at around 6 p.m.
    He nurses before bed, and falls asleep at the breast at 7:30 p.m. (sometimes earlier if he is tired).
    He sleeps through the night.

Is he getting enough to eat? His diapers are normal, both urine production and BMs. I do notice his diaper is pretty dry when he wakes up, but if left for 30 minutes (which my df did once), its soaked. I think he just doesn't pee during the night, then unloads when he wakes up.

He is a very happy baby, and really doesn't cry very often. He sucks on his fist/thumb/fingers a lot, and likes to chew on his bib. However, if I give him the breast, he will suck for a minute, then pull off and suck on his fingers again. I have tried removing his fingers and giving him the nipple again, but he just switches back to his fingers. I took that to mean he wasn't hungry--that he just wanted something to suck on.

Is my baby okay?! I'm really starting to worry about this...

Default Re: A bit worried ...

It sure sounds like he's getting enough... I'm sure if you called your pedi, they would let you come in for a weight check to put your mind at ease. I think sometimes they just grow longer before they fill out ) Percentiles don't matter so much, as long as he's gaining steadily.

It sounds like he is fine to me. Every body type is different. I never paid any attention the the growth charts ever.

As far as the fingers in the mouth thing, he might be teething. Mez got his first teeth when he was five months old and sometimes he had a little trouble nursing probably because of the pain in his gums. If he is teething, he will go right back to preferring the breast over his fingers as soon as the tooth cuts.

-Lauren

I just read in a baby magazine that children from 5th percentile and up are "normal" so don't fret. When is your next checkup? You might just want to mention this to your Dr. so you can be reassured that all is well.

and according to the chart that i just checked, if your DS is 13 lbs 13 oz at 4 mos, that would put him at roughly the 25th percentile... that's not too shabby for a baby who started out at 6 lbs 11.5 oz which (same as my henry) would put him at around the 10th percentile. if anything, it seems like your LO is thriving!

i found with my DD, before she was able to sit up, her belly was all chub until she stretched out... then she looked emaciated. nothing could have been farther from the truth. you're doing a great job by the sounds of it mama so i wouldn't worry. and as always, you can talk it over with your ped if you are still concerned.

[ j ]

Thank you all, so much! Your responses make me feel much better. I think I will see if I can get a weight check. His next check up isn't until 6 months (9/27). It would be nice to know.

Thanks, again!

oops! i just re-read that and saw that you said that at 4 mos he was doing well and NOW you are worried that he has gotten too thin. sorry about that. is there a public health nurse in your neighborhood where you can go and have him weighed? i know canada is different... do they offer that as a community service in the states? otherwise, maybe you could call your ped and request a weigh?

[ j ]