Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A list of things to do to increase supply

Default Re: A list of things to do to increase supply

I breastfeed exclusively but I can tell that my supply is decreasing due to poor latch. I'm expecting a visit from a LC today to help me with the latch, but now my concern is that my milk supply is LOW! I can only pump 1 oz out of one breast and 2 oz out of the other (in the AM after a nursing -- my baby is almost 3 wks old). Another indication that my supply is low is that I only see her actively sucking for a VERY short time (like only a minute) after the first let-down and then sporadic little sucks or a couple of gulps after a subsequent let-downs.

I'm taking Mother's Milk fenugreek liquid drops to help increase my supply as well as trying to drink lots of water, but I want to add pumping to help increase as well. What I don't know is when I should pump (immediately following a feeding or an hour after the last feeding?), how many times a day, and how long should each pumping session last?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommylim View Post
    I breastfeed exclusively but I can tell that my supply is decreasing due to poor latch. I'm expecting a visit from a LC today to help me with the latch, but now my concern is that my milk supply is LOW! I can only pump 1 oz out of one breast and 2 oz out of the other (in the AM after a nursing -- my baby is almost 3 wks old). Another indication that my supply is low is that I only see her actively sucking for a VERY short time (like only a minute) after the first let-down and then sporadic little sucks or a couple of gulps after a subsequent let-downs.

I'm taking Mother's Milk fenugreek liquid drops to help increase my supply as well as trying to drink lots of water, but I want to add pumping to help increase as well. What I don't know is when I should pump (immediately following a feeding or an hour after the last feeding?), how many times a day, and how long should each pumping session last?
    How did the visit with your LC go? Was she able to help with your baby's latch? Did she give you suggestions about pumping? How are things going now?

I'm hoping things look better now (after meeting with your LC). Here's a good site for info about building your supply: lowmilksupply.org.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Hi Marianne,
    Thank you for the VERY informative link on pumping. It answered all my pumping questions. The LC was sick, and didn't call me yesterday like she said she would for a home visit. I'll have to call her again tomorrow to see if she's better now. Ughs. In the meantime, my latch is still bad and my supply is low. Ack! If the baby were suffering from lack of milk, she'd be cranky and want to nurse more often as well as having less output, right? So far, she's still nursing every 2.5-3.5 hrs and output is good.

After reading the link you supplied, it looks like I better start pumping more frequently starting tomorrow morning. Do I need to pump several times a day for at least a year while I'm nursing to keep up the supply or can I eventually stop pumping?

BTW, where do I get soy lechithin? I read on a thread that helps to frequency of plugged ducts.

mommylim: did you say you were getting 3 oz after a feeding? If so that is on top of what your lo is getting - that sounds like you do NOT have a supply issue...

My understanding is if you are pumping for stimulation, not actually to feed the baby, 10 mins right after the baby eats is fine. If you really want to get it going the odd power pumping session is great. If you are ebf on demand and don't have to go back to work or anything I don't think you will have to pump forever. I think that supply eventually regulates itself and when you need an increase - like growth spurt time - the baby sucks more and demand = supply in most cases. I would the the oatmeal everyday though good for supply and good for you
    hth
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Thank you for your responses. I met with the LC, but she wasn't much help w/ regards to the latch. I am still getting the lipstick nipple w/ vasospasm and I constantly have to pull out her bottom lip and top lip to get her mouth halfway decent on the nipple (I'm sure my baby is not appreciating all the tugging and pulling). The LC was more of a salesperson than a help for nursing. Any other tips to get a better latch? The LC said my baby has a sensitive gag reflex and a high roof to her mouth, along with my "not so long" nipples, that there isn't much I can do about the shallow latch.

I think I'm only able to get that quantity of milk out during my pumping sessions b/c the poor latch is not letting my baby suck it all out herself. And, she's been hungry every 2 hrs instead of 3 hrs now. I wonder if it's just a growth spurt or my milk is really low? I'm kinda freaking out. I don't demand feed her, nor do I follow a strict schedule for feeding. She naturally would feed around 3 - 3.5 hrs before but I'm having to feed her around 2 - 2.5 hrs now.

Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)

mommylim - Sounds like your supply is fine. It's normal for an infant to want to eat every 2-3 hours. Plus pumping 3oz afterwards sounds to me like you really don't have to worry about your supply. If you give her a bottle after and she still takes, I would think than you would have a bit of a problem there.
    New Mom

[Top to bottom in photo]
    Kori & Dain
    31-7-2008

Made it through the first year
    Now what? I'm lost.

thanks everyone. I think my supply issues are okay now. I am now just more concerned that my DD isn't getting the intake necessary b/c of the latch. Is there really nothing more I can do to get her to take a deeper latch -- given what the LC told me??? I actually feel ripped off to pay for the LC to come out when she didn't even really help me.

Just pull out the bottom lip, don't worry about the top lip that much. From what I hear, it doesn't matter that much. HTH and maybe someone with more info than I will be of more help.
    New Mom

[Top to bottom in photo]
    Kori & Dain
    31-7-2008

Made it through the first year
    Now what? I'm lost.

Have you had the baby checked for tongue-tie? This article may be helpful. The posterior tongue-ties are not well-known and not as easy to see, but can cause significant breastfeeding issues. My DS had a type 4 tongue-tie and my nipples were flattened and white after each feeding (followed rapidly by ripped and bleeding). Also, high pallettes (roof of mouth), typically appear with tongue-ties. Maybe another LC would be more helpful, preferably board-certified. A great book is "Supporting Sucking Skills in Breastfed Infants" by Cathy Watson Genna. I second the recommendation for the mobi website. Great support and info.
    2001 2004 2008