Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Experienced tandem nurser needs help!!!

Default Experienced tandem nurser needs help!!!

I am an experienced BF mom. I tandem my 9 month old son and my 3.8 year old daughter. I have always noticed that one breast produces more milk. In the last couple of days I have noticed that my “stronger” breast is producing less. I also work full time so I pump for my 9 month old to have some milk while we are apart. Recently, my daughter has had several health issues and my frozen stash of milk is now gone because I have had to use that in place of fresh milk as I have had to leave work and have not pumped at home.

I don’t know what to try to eat/drink or take so I can up my production. I’m worried because I no longer have a stash to fall back on. I don’t pump at home b/c I nurse them on demand (mostly the baby but my little girl has been regular at her breast too mostly for comfort since she has been feeling ill – she may need surgery soon).

I don’t want to have to supplement my son!!! Please help!

Second question for you experienced moms: With my first child, I got my period at 4 months. Now, it’s 9 months after my second child and no period. Could this be part of it?

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

Who fed me from her gentle breast
    And hushed me in her arms to rest,
    And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
    My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

Default Re: Experienced tandem nurser needs help!!!

Well mama, I don't have any experience with tandem nursing myself (), but I do see so many mamas on this forum around the nine month mark feeling like their milk supply is too low. I think there are several factors that contribute to this second-half-of-first-year lag, and tandem nursing is probably just one of many. Around this time, most little babies are not eating too many solids, and mom is pumping at work, but it's hard to keep up, and you're working harder than you were before, and your breasts are also regulating to meet baby's demands, so you don't feel as "full" as you used to.

If you want to increase your milk supply, make sure you are eating lots of good carbs (oatmeal is a good milk-enhancer) and drinking LOTS of water. Try adding a pumping first thing in the morning, or late at night, after your babies go to sleep. And continue to nurse on demand. Soon your nine month old will start eating more solids, and the demands will probably ease up a bit. In the meantime, trust your body. You've made it tandem nursing NINE MONTHS. I have no doubt that you are making enough milk! But a sickness can set anyone back a bit. So just trust your body, make sure you're taking good care of yourself, and I bet you'll be back on track in a week or two.

I'm not surprised you haven't gotten your period, as that's directly related to how much you are breastfeeding for most women. You're breastfeeding more this time (two kids) so your fertility is being suppressed for longer. Usually supply goes DOWN (just a little, around PMS time) when your period comes back, so in my book, the longer you go without your period, the better!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Do you think you can add one pumping session in at home? Just designate a time and pump then, and freeze that milk for your freezer stash? Are you only worried about your freezer stash, or are you not pumping enough for the baby while you are apart?

A couple things - oatmeal, drinking enough water, eating enough protein can help.

Also, when Lilah was around 9 months old I needed to go down a horn size on each side. And maybe your pump parts need to be switched out? The little flanges?

Another thought - were you giving bottles to the baby and not pumping? Or did you give the stash to your older daughter? If you were giving bottles to the baby and not pumping, you really need to pump a bunch at home to get your supply back up, I think. Can you pump after a few feedings every day? I know it's hard with a baby and an older child.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thank you both for your replies. I am going to have some oatmeal now (at work). My baby nurses on demand at home but he takes a bottle while at daycare. I pump at work twice a day. Usually that was more than enough, getting about 24 ounces but now it's decreased. I can say I'm not taking as good care of myself as I was. I work full time and am under alot of stress, caring for the two kiddos and my elderly mom. My daughter may need surgery and has been cranky and my husband was just laid off! So, it could be ALOT of things! My little boy is 23 lbs (as of Friday's check up) so he is healthy but he loves his milk and I want to make sure I am making enough for him to have during the day. Like I said, I went through my stash with my daughter being sick and me having to take time off of work to take her to doctor's appointment (my pumping sessions have suffered). Do you think I should take supplements like the More Milk Plus or just trying eating/drinking better?

Thanks again for your replies. I have continued nursing only because of the encouragement I receive here in this forum. And, for the most part, my children and happy and healthy because of it!

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

Who fed me from her gentle breast
    And hushed me in her arms to rest,
    And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
    My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)