Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby having trouble nursing - milk supply low?

Default Baby having trouble nursing - milk supply low?

I have a 9-month old daughter who has recently been having difficulty nursing. She has been on solids for awhile and I still try to nurse her at least 4-5 times a day. She has been a fussy eater for a couple of months, but now it seems like she hardly gets any milk. I really don't want to supplement with formula and I don't know what to do. When I do try to nurse she usually will only suck for a 30 seconds or so before she turns away and cries. I switch sides at least four times and it doesn't seem to help anymore. Could she already be trying to wean? What can I do? Someone please help!

Default Re: Baby having trouble nursing - milk supply low?

I would try giving less solids. Will she confort nurse instead of paci? I don't have a lot of experience but I hope this helps.

Sara

I will try doing that. No, she doesn't really comfort nurse. It almost seems like nursing is more distressing to her than it is comforting. It didn't used to be like that. I'm just so frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvmaddy
    I have a 9-month old daughter who has recently been having difficulty nursing. She has been on solids for awhile and I still try to nurse her at least 4-5 times a day. She has been a fussy eater for a couple of months, but now it seems like she hardly gets any milk. I really don't want to supplement with formula and I don't know what to do. When I do try to nurse she usually will only suck for a 30 seconds or so before she turns away and cries. I switch sides at least four times and it doesn't seem to help anymore. Could she already be trying to wean? What can I do? Someone please help!
    How much solids does your baby get?
    Every baby is different, but as a general rule, solid food should be just a *taste* at this age. Until they reach a year, babies need to get most of their nutrition from human milk.
    It may be that she got too many solids too fast and so she didn't nurse as much as before.
    Would you consider pumping to increase your supply? If you had more milk, she might be more likely to nurse longer.
    You might also like to consider nursing her at night. many babies this age are just too busy to nurse during the day. However, they nurse happily when they are half asleep (or half awake!) or even while completely asleep!
    This is easiest to do at nap times, in a dark, quiet room, and in mama's bed at night, so that YOU can get some rest too.
    What do you you think would work for you?

warmly,
    LLLnormaR