Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump for comfort or to maintain supply?

Default Pump for comfort or to maintain supply?

Hi ladies. I'm going out of town next week for 4 days (Wed-Sat) for a business trip. DD will be 16mos and we only nurse to bed and during the night (so ~3x's a day). While I am away should I pump just for comfort (enough to relieve any engorgement) or should I pump a few times each night to keep on schedule and maintain that nighttime supply?

Also, should I even attempt to store and fly home with any of the EBM? She doesn't take EBM anymore except for I will have a bit on hand for DH to give her while I am away. But this will probably wipe out the rest of my stash.

ETA: If I do bring BM on the plane, does anyone know what kind of ice packs I am allowed to use?
    Last edited by @llli*lilbirdie22; November 24th, 2008 at 07:42 AM.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Default Re: Pump for comfort or to maintain supply?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post
    Hi ladies. I'm going out of town next week for 4 days (Wed-Sat) for a business trip. DD will be 16mos and we only nurse to bed and during the night (so ~3x's a day). While I am away should I pump just for comfort (enough to relieve any engorgement) or should I pump a few times each night to keep on schedule and maintain that nighttime supply?
    I would personally try to pump a few times (maybe before sleeping, once in the night, and when you get up) to keep your body on rhythm for when you return.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post
    Also, should I even attempt to store and fly home with any of the EBM? She doesn't take EBM anymore except for I will have a bit on hand for DH to give her while I am away. But this will probably wipe out the rest of my stash.

ETA: If I do bring BM on the plane, does anyone know what kind of ice packs I am allowed to use?
    I would try to restore your stash; it's always good to have a little on hand. The annoying thing is that you are NOT allowed to bring ice packs on the plane. When I've flown, I've usually done this:
    Put ice in ziplocs, emptied it out before going through security, and bought more ice immediately on the other side.
    But last time I flew, I did this, on the suggestion of a friend, who reminded me that milk freezes harder than water:
    I bought a quart of cow's milk, froze it in mother's milk bags, and put it in with my EBM. When I went through security, I told them that I was bringing "milk" through (you have to declare it, but I didn't say what kind). This kept my EBM really cold for the whole trip. Not that I'm saying to do this, of course.

Good luck with your trip!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Just saw that you were probably leaving tomorrow so I wanted to add that I have traveled with bm twice. Both times I've packed an ice pack and had absolutely no problems. TSA has guidelines posted for what you can travel with. I can't recall and don't have time to look it up but I'm almost certain they allow an ice pack with bm. I agree with pp, I would keep the bm for another day even if you don't end up using it. At least you'll have it for an emergency. Also, since you're only going to be gone for 4 days...I wouldn't freeze any of the milk, just keep it refridgerated and cool and put it in the freezer when you get home. Then you don't have to worry about your milk thawing and spoiling issues. Good Luck
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

how would one go about keeping the milk cold in the hotel room without a fridge? Hubby and i are thinking about traveling without baby in march and i dug up this post to read up. I dont want to mess with my supply as i am aleady having issues.
    Mommy to Liam born 10/13/2008
    Breastfeeding since Day 1

Breastfed ds for 15 months and cherished every minute of it!!

We love and