Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help Please

Default Help Please

I am wondering what exactly the process is for relactation. Can anyone give me a breif rundown.

I have been having supply issue and now have a baby that only nurses if all circumstances are to her liking... and then still fights it after a few minutes. I was all but ready to give up and then was reading that people are having success with relactation. I figure we could give it a try. It has been so frustrating to not have my baby want to breast feed.. I am also wondering if there are tips to improve a 4mo old latch? It seems everyone I talk with just want to increase supply but I read that improving the latch is the best way to increase supply... seems like a never ending circle... she doesn't want to nurse b/c my supply is so low... my supply is so low b/c she won't nurse!!

Please Help

Default Re: Help Please

Relactation is when you for whatever reason stopped nursing and want to restart.

Getting started really is a matter of using a hosp grade pump and pump pump pump like crazy. At least as much as you know your baby would nurse. (more is better from what ive read)

Also there are different herbs that can help, Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, eating oatmeal, drinking lots of water.

A 4 month old baby shouldnt be too hard to get reteach how to latch on. There alot of information out there. Google or Yahoo search it. Also great info here at LLL.

Praying all goes well for you.

Default Re: Help Please

To help with the latch, do you have a local LLL leader or an IBCLC (lactation consultant) that can provide in-person help? That may really help.