Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: crazy midnight shift

Default crazy midnight shift

hello all

i also work this crazy midnight shift, as a police officer... my problem is my shift is from 10pm till 6:00am. i am working inside on desk duty for now, (post partum) and i work alone. i exclusively BF my soon to be 3 month old. at work i am not able to pump until 3am , that is when all is quiet most days. i am able to get between 3 and 4ozs in each bottle (double pump). i do not pump again after this. i BF LO when i get home around 6:30am. after this i pump once during the day when i can find time. if possible i will do two pumps at home. my question is, will this make my supply diminish. should i try to squeeze in another pump session after 3am or can i get away with trying to squeeze in 10 minutes to pump something before 3? i have been doing this for 2 weeks now. help, i really want to BF for at least one year...

Default Re: crazy midnight shift

bump
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

bump
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

If I am reading your post correctly, you are still BF your LO during the day and evening. If that is true, I don't think only pumping once throughout the night will decrease your over all supply. Since it has been 2 weeks now, your body should have regulated itself at night to only that one session. As long as you don't feel engorged working, then pumping once is fine.
    Missy MooCow
    - Mom to DS 03/2003 & DD 07/2008
    - - Ex-Exclusive pumper
    - - Yeah!! Full time nurser since December!!

Thank you all but now I have another issue. My LO is now refusing to feed off my breast I am so depressed and saddened. What is happening I cant figure it out. I am having to pump all day now. Im attached to this machine now. I dont put soap on my breasts, I dont put lotion so I cant figure it out. I did recently start to spot(menstruate). I dont know if this is the problem because he drinks the EB with no problems. Please help, I miss the closeness of breastfeeding I know I should be ok with this as long as I could still offer LO breastmilk. But I dont want to be attached to machine all day.

I am so sorry there will be other mama who know much more than I do along soon, but in the mean time...

• keep offering the breast before every bottle that you can. Sometimes they go on "nursing strike" and just prefer the bottle for a while.
    • make sure the nipples you are using are slow flow - the ones I have don't even drip when you hold them upsidedown. Babies can get lazy when bottle feeding gets the milk faster without them having to work

Most of us hate our pumps. you are certainly not alone in missing the closeness. While those moms that have to exclusively pump certainly know they are doing the best for their LOs they mostly wish it were different. The closeness of a non-BFing couple is different but you are still the most important people in each others world even when you are pumping.

getting back to the breast
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

what type of bottles are you using? He may favor the bottle b/c it comes faster...we used playtex disposiable and use the natural latch slow nipples. He had to suck hard on those just like the breast (or at least close to it)
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

hello all,

I am using the Playtex nurser bottles with the slow flow nipple. This is the only bottle he took with no problem. The strike has been going on for a week now...LO will take my breast when he is asleep but that is not even consistent. I'm so sad
    wife to detective , mom to 19 yr old lady

and starting all over with jr. and so

our blessing came, 02 Sept. 08 , 7 lbs. 12 ozs.

, enjoy ,

How long do you what before giving him a bottle when your home? If baby is hungry enough, they will ususally try to latch....
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)