Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: CONFUSED! need help

Default CONFUSED! need help

my 4 wk old if getting the breast during the day and bottle at night....well the problem i ran into is i stopped bf, then i started up again last week well i didnt think i had enough milk so i bf then i gave formula. well NOW a week later he is pulling off of me and is drinking more from the bottle!? and quite frankly it hurts to bf cause he pulls off so much then relatches and it is making me sore!!

what do i do? stop the bottle and just breast and suck it up for the first couple of days that he pulls off and makes me sore? but what i am afraid of is that he isnt gettin enough to eat and then a half hour later i do it again? then another question is what do i do to make my sore nipples feel better between feedings?

Default Re: CONFUSED! need help

How much have you been supplementing? If more than 2 or 3 oz. in a day you will need to wean off the supplements gradually. Have you thought about supplementing at the breast with a supplemental nursing system? This will keep LO at the breast and minimize flow preference. It will also help build your supply so that you can decrease the supplements.

Here are some useful links:
    www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html
    lowmilksupply.org/abs.shtml
    www.kellymom.com/newman/03a-sore_nipples.html

Further search of these will give more good information as well. You can do this!
    2001 2004 2008

Sore nipples is most commonly caused by improper positioning/latch. Does it hurt while your baby is nursing or just from the pulling off frequently? Is it possible that you have a forceful letdown? This would explain why your baby is pulling off so often. You could try pumping or manually expressing to letdown and then latching your baby on.

Also, regarding the bottle vs breast: Breastfed babies typically will drink more from a bottle than the breast, and they will continue to drink from a bottle after they are full. This is because breastfed babies are used to being able to comfort nurse while controlling the amount of milk they get from the breast. This isn't possible with a bottle - if they continue to suck from a bottle, they will continue to get the same flow of milk, and thus, will overeat.

You said that you didn't think you had enough milk. What made you think this?
    Mommy to Baby K, born 5-13-08 after 30 hours of labor and a c-section

Pumped for 30 months

3 years of breastfeeding and counting!!!!

I'm a (breastfeeding) (vegetarian) mama!

well the reason i thought that i wasnt making alot of milk was because i had quit for awhile and then i restarted.

also i dont know if it is the latch that hurts because his lips are pursed.

so basically i should pump before he eats so that i dont have alot of forceful milk coming out? how much do you pump before its ok to put him on to eat?

also thank you so much for helping me! i am a second time mother but this one is my first time tryin to bf!!

Here is a link to help you figure out if your baby is latching properly. When he is latched on, does it hurt? Or does it just hurt when he pulls off (like he's rubbing your nipple raw)?

You said he is pursing his lips, like clamping down? That could be another sign of forceful letdown. He may be trying to slow the flow of your milk.

Some mothers have a forceful letdown, meaning the milk comes out forcefully at first and then slows down as the nursing session progresses. You would pump or manually express just for a minute or two after your milk has let down (long enough to notice that the flow of milk has slowed), and then offer the breast to your baby. If he doesn't continue to pull off, then you probably do have a forceful letdown. If that's the case, then you need to try some of these measures to address the problem. Pumping/manually expressing beforehand on a regular basis should be your last resort, as this will stimulate more milk production and ultimately exacerbate the problem.
    Mommy to Baby K, born 5-13-08 after 30 hours of labor and a c-section

Pumped for 30 months

3 years of breastfeeding and counting!!!!

I'm a (breastfeeding) (vegetarian) mama!

Based on your 1st post I would think that the pulling off is probably caused by impatience at your letdown and changing flow vs. Forceful let down. Often Children who are bottle fed get impatient at the breast because the milk needs to be worked for vs the bottle which just continually drips into their mouth.

It does depend on how much you have been supplementing whether or not you cna just cut out the supplements. However if you can have a "nurse in" you could be done with the supplements in a matter of days if the amount is low. A "nurse in" is where you take the baby to bed and stay there for 24-48 hours skin to skin and do nothing but eat, feed and sleep. And it's works better if your partner brings you food. Usually a child that is young and already breastfeeding but starting to show signs of nipple preference can forget about bottle in a matter of days if they are constantly brought to the breast and kept in a space where they smell their mother's milk all day long. So if you can do that sooner rather than later that would probably really help. (Is someone home who could wait in you tomorrow?)
    Also there is a product called Nipple Butter by Mother's love which works nicely for sore nipple relief. There is also something called "Soothies" which are gel packs that actually stick to your breast that are nice for quick relief. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula