Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DS naps better w/ DCP than at home

Angry DS naps better w/ DCP than at home

I work full time and DS has been in a couple of different DC situations since he started in September (long story). We have him at an in home and he seems to be doing well, aside from not taking his bottles all that well. He sleeps an hour in the am and 1-2 hours in the PM. He is 10.5 months old, and has adjusted to the daycare routine pretty well (except for bottles). On the weekend, I am lucky to get him to nap for 45 minutes at a time, and he often skips a nap!!! With me he nurses to sleep, but then doesn't sleep very long or doesn't go down. With the DCP I am not sure what she does, but it doesn't sound like he takes a bottle before his naps, and he goes down just fine. He's up all night nursing on and off as well, of course. ARRGGHH! Why can't i get him to nap? It's very hard for me to get him to sleep w/o nursing...I've tried a few times, and it's an ordeal. It makes me feel like a failure of a parent when he seems to do better with the DCP than with me Has this happened to any one else? Any suggestions?? I love spending time with DS, but I could really use his naptime to take care of my atrocious looking house or spend quality time with DH.
    Last edited by @llli*dreame; November 22nd, 2008 at 11:59 AM.
    Mama to William James born January 2nd, 2008
    Nursed 2 years, 2 months! and I think we're done!
    And our new Lucy Jane born March 30th, 2010, 7 lb. 4 oz., 20.5 inches

Pro-breastfeeding quotes:
    http://www.quotegarden.com/breastfeeding.html

Default Re: DS naps better w/ DCP than at home

I'm guessing it's because the bottle (at daycare) is not nearly as appealing as having the real deal at home, so when you're there he knows it and isn't willing to settle for time away from you. Have you ever tried wearing him in order to get things done at home? When my son was small, he enjoyed being worn. I am far from expert when it comes to babywearing, but I know there are a lot of mamas on here who swear by it as far as being able to get things done and nurse the baby while you do it--my son also used to sleep a good bit when I was wearing him, so that might help with your nap issues too.

Good luck!

I worked at a daycare and my best advice would be to find out exactly what their schedule is, what your DS is doing before naptime, what music they listen to during naptime (maybe you can get a copy of the same music), ect. He is probably just very used to the routine there for naptime and it's just different at home. If you'd like to do things differently at home, try to stick to the same routine every time he goes down for a nap, whether it include nursing or not. He will probably adjust well to two different routines as he gets older. HTH!!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

and if nursing to sleep is working go for it!
    Nothing wrong with using that tool!

My son has always slept better at daycare than at home. I think it's two things: It's a lot easier to have a regular routine in a daycare setting than at home. And at daycare, they see all their friends lying down to sleep, so they adjust better to the idea that it's naptime. It can be frustrating, but I don't worry about it too much, and we still nurse to sleep for naps at home (my son is almost 2 years...).

I would wear him if I wasn't so petite. I used to wear him a lot when he wasn't approaching 20 lbs. Thanks, I will ask DCP what they do before nap. That might help. Nursing sort of works when he doesn't want to roll away and play! It takes forever for him to settle in these days. He's very busy!
    Mama to William James born January 2nd, 2008
    Nursed 2 years, 2 months! and I think we're done!
    And our new Lucy Jane born March 30th, 2010, 7 lb. 4 oz., 20.5 inches

Pro-breastfeeding quotes:
    http://www.quotegarden.com/breastfeeding.html

I gave up with DD2 - we were having the same issue - naps great at dcp but needs me to nurse her at home. I use the opportunity to take a nap with her and clean house later when DH can watch the girls. However, I did consider buying another nap mat like they use at dcp to see if that would help. Also, I would think if DH could put your lo down for nap, it may be easier.

We have the same probelm. Also remember at dcp that's what the others are doing then too so it's the thing to do. At home, they feel like if they go to sleep they may miss something. Enjoy the cuddle time,t he mess will still be there. I know mine is!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Same problem here with my almost 16mos old. I asked DCP what she does and she said, oh, I just ask her "where's bunny?" (dd's lovey) and DD goes down the hall to the bedroom looking for it. DCP puts her in the crib with her bunny and that's it. No fussing. And 9 times out of 10 she falls asleep without a whimper. Sorry sister. The same routine does not work at home (and we even have a matching bunny for her crib at home). DD will not have it.

But, my hunch is that DCP let her CIO at some point in time (I have a don't ask/don't tell policy...I won't CIO and don't want to know if DCP did). Since I won't CIO at home I'm sure DD knows how to work it to her advantage!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

This happens with me too. My little boy is doing better and following routine in his daycare. He eats whatever she gives him and know when to go for a nap. He doesn't cry there and never has tantrum. With me? Opposite, he doesn't try new food. I need to nurse him before put him to his crib and has to stay in his room unti he falls asleep. I has tantrum with me everday, few times a day. I think this all come to he knows he can get away with me and no matter what he does, he will get my love and comfort, from hug, kiss, and nursing, anyway. I talked to his daycare provider too and she said oh this is normal because at the daycare, it's more like a school to him. I'm glad we have this nice daycare.