Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: clicking habit possibly due to OALD

Default clicking habit possibly due to OALD

So, I seem to have OS and OALD. It's getting better with single side feeding and block feeding, but I think DD has developed a bad habit of creating a clicking noise when she feeds, I think due to a break in suction, which she started to deal with the streams of milk "attacking" her during let-down. Now, even before let-down, she'll do the clicking thing. I'm not sore or anything, and she seems to otherwise have a great latch. What can I do to get her to stop clicking? It's just intermittent. Sometimes she'll eat for minutes without doing it, start it, stop it, start again. I'll be introducing the bottle soon (yesterday she turned 1 month) and I'm worried that the clicking may mean that she does not have BF down, in which case the bottle might screw things up. She's plenty efficient as she has gone from 6.5 lbs at birth to over 10 now...

Any ideas of what she is doing, why, or how I can stop it?

Default Re: clicking habit possibly due to OALD

Don't worry about it. Clicking is a normal way that babies cope with OALD. The sound comes from them using thier tongue to block and control the flow of milk. It's actually a VERY good sign.
    The next sign you will probably see if you haven't seen it already is the "pop off" where the baby pops off after a few sucks and then take a few more and pops off again and so on. This is the baby ANTICIPATING and forceful let down and trying to avoid choking, coughing and sputtering.
    This are good signs that your child is learning to cope with OALD. Often more sensitive or high needs babies can get very frustrated by this. But a baby that is clicking is learning to deal and still eat.
    It has nothing to do with bottle feeding and the clicking usually works it's self out at some point. By 6months my son wasn't clicking anymore. But he would still get shot in the eye if he pulled off too soon. So the OALD didn't quit. He just was completely adjusted to it.
    We introduced the bottle at 5 weeks with no problems.
    HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks so much for the reply. So it is okay that the clicking continues past let down or sometimes occurs before it?

DJ clicked loudly the whole time he ate. Once when I was having issues with chapped nipples I went in to see an LC and she kept trying to reposition him and he kept relatching so he could click.
    If your diaper output is good and your weight gain is good, it's not a problem.

Way too lazy for formula

I'm so happy to see this thread! My 6 week old DS does the exact same thing, he clicks and pops off all throughout his feedings, but doesn't seem to get frustrated by it. I'm glad to know that the clicking is okay and a good sign that he is learning to deal the the OALD. I was getting concerned because it seems like my milk supply has exploded in the last week and that is when he really started clicking. Thanks for the help, glad to know I'm not alone.

Don't worry about it. My DS did this alot, it was really really loud, you could hear him across the room. It was kind of embarassing when I went to my LLL meetings. Anyway, one day I suddenly realized he was no longer doing it. Can't remember when, but my oversupply issue had sorted itself out by 3 months so it definately stopped by then.

I have the exact same problem. My baby makes that clicking sound in every bfeeding and every time he sucks. It's very annoying, not for me, for him. He gets very frustrated every time, he stops sucking and refuses to continue. I have noticed that the problem is not OALD. He latches on very well and gains a lot of weight. How can I find out what is making my baby clicking all the time? Is it possible that his tongue is the problem?