Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumb question

Default Dumb question

My LO (17 weeks) has been super cranky the past two days, her cheeks are red, she's drooling like mad and chomping on her hands, my shoulder, anything that she can get in her mouth. I do not see any teeth coming in at all. A few nights ago she slid down into her bathwater and got her ears wet. My DH now thinks she has an ear infection because of it (no fever that I know of). So the dumb question is - can you get an ear infection from getting water in your ears? I should know the answer to this but I'm having a bad brain day and I thought breastfed babies rarely got ear infections. TIA!
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

Default Re: Dumb question

It sounds like what teething was like for us. I don't have any experience with ear infections, but I think there's an intense, painful cry (that's how it's been with my niece and nephew anyway) that you wouldn't be able to miss. My son started teething around 4 months but didn't actually have a tooth erupt until he was 7 months old; it just takes a while for them to come through sometimes.

Good luck!

Babies can show signs of teething long before any teeth come through.

Is your lo pulling at their ear? Often babies do this too when they have an ear infection.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I am going through this too. My LO is also 17 weeks and has super-red cheeks. I just noticed it 2 days ago and am confused by it. He has been drooling for about a month now though. Am curious what others say.

It definatly sounds like teething. As for your lo ears going into the water i wouldn't be too concerned about that. I asked the dr. about this as my lo loves playing in the tub. There was two things he told me. One babies have 2 times the amount of ear waxs as us. It helps protect the ears. Second as long as its not a public pools there's nothing to worry about. I wouldn't jump to ear infections if your little one does start pulling at the ear. Although it is a good indicator of an ear infection it can also mean your lo is tired. Mine does this all the time! I did have a dr. look at it but there is no sign of infection Good luck with the teething
    born 03/24/11, and and
    born 03/21/08 Breastfed for 2 yrs, and still when needed

Teething can also make their ears hurt. If her ears smell bad, it would be worth getting it checked out, and if she cries more when moved certain ways, for instance when you lay her down (the change in pressure can make them hurt). I called my brother since he has more experience with ears than I do lol.

Thanks for the responses! She hasn't been pulling at her ears, just rubbing her eyes/face. She seems more tired than usual. I took her temp, its normal. I just got her down for another nap so hopefully she will wake up less cranky. I will sniff her ears when she wakes up!
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

My LO is 23 weeks now, and she has been doing the exact same thing since she was about 18 weeks, and so far no teeth. Drooling, crankines, red cheeks, using anything near her mouth as a teething ring- we have it all, too. My oldest had ear infections really bad when she was littler, and she did the ear pulling, and also had fevers.
    I'm Shannon!
    Single, babywearing, barefoot in the grass mama to 3 wonderful babies!
    Abby 11-25-03
    Terry 9-29-06
    Kate 6-12-08
    and my Jack 11-17-02, gone to God at 11 weeks

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

"I am going to be happy today, though the skies may be cloudy or gray. No matter what comes my way, I am going to be happy today."

when my LO got an ear infection, i asked the dr if it could be from getting water in his ears at bath time and she said no..
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

with pp's. My lo is doing all of the same stuff for weeks and weeks and then yesterday, I could feel just the tiniest corner of a tooth coming through!! So it is all not in vain

DD also sometimes pulls at her ears and has been rubbing her eyes and face more. There's a lot going on at this age, I think it just wears them out faster, yk?
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63