Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LO only eating from one breast, now the breasts are becoming uneven

Default LO only eating from one breast, now the breasts are becoming uneven

I have a 10 week old that had many struggles with breastfeeding and only starting breastfeeding this week. I pumped for the 9 1/2 weeks prior to her breastfeeding. My right breast would produce 3 ounces and my left 1 once. My right breast was slighly larger but not noticable. Since my LO has started breastfeeding she will only breastfeed the right side. I offer the left side first and later in the feeding with no luck. Now my right side is noticably larger and heavier. I look like a freak and have to pad my bra on the left side now. Also my right side nipple is very sore because that is the only one she sucks on. She is new to breastfeeding and I don't want to discourage her but I also was to fix the problem before it gets worse. Any suggestions? Will she always only feed from one breast and if so will my right breast keep getting bigger? Any suggestions on the sore nipple? I know it is probably the latch but after 10 weeks of trying this is the only way I can get her latched on.

Default Re: LO only eating from one breast, now the breasts are becoming uneven

Congrats on getting your LO back to the breast!! How wonderful is that? It's very common especially when you get started breastfeeding to have a one-sided nurser. So until you can get the baby to nurse from both sides you will have to pump the other breast to keep up the supply. Hopefully it won't be for long.

Are you trying different holds on the side your baby will not nurse from? Sometimes they feel more comfortable with different holds on each side. For example- try the football hold or side lying nursing! Don't push your baby though! Also, you can try nursing in the tub or when your LO is very sleepy! Lastly, you can get your LO started nursing on the preferred side then switching to the other breast.

Good luck and keep offering both sides! Your LO will get the hang of it. Mine did the same thing and to this day I have an uneven supply. Don't worry about that too much. Oh and use lots of lanolin on the sore nipple! Also take some ibprofin to relieve the pain.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

My daughter (now 9 months) has never really liked my left breast. It makes way less when I pump too. My husband claims he can't tell the difference, but they're definitely lopsided.

I would definitely recommend trying different positions. I finally figured out when she was 6 months old that she would eat from the right boob if we were laying down so that she was still facing the same way that she was eating from the left one.

And about the sore nipple. My daughter also took about 10 weeks to transition from bottles to breast feeding and I was very sore in the beginning for a few weeks. Eventually it got better. We were using a nipple shield to transition and I think that was part of the problem. I don't have any great advice for you, but it will get better!

Congratulations for getting your baby back to the breast!!! That is awesome.

It's actually pretty common for them to prefer one breast over the other. My boobs were lopsided for nearly a year after my baby was born. One thing that might help is to hold the baby in the exact same position on the left breast as on the right. For example if you are holding her in the cradle position on the right, just move her over so that you are holding her in the football position on the left. It might "trick" her into thinking she is still on the right breast. Also, try expressing a little bit of milk onto the left breast before nursing so she knows there is milk there. It's possible your left side doesn't respond with a let down as quickly as the right so she gets frustrated waiting for the milk.

If that doesn't work, try not to worry too much, just keep offering the left side and she will eventually take it. In the meantime, you may want to pump on that side to keep supply up and try to even out the size difference.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Congratulations for getting your baby back to the breast!!! That is awesome.

It's actually pretty common for them to prefer one breast over the other. My boobs were lopsided for nearly a year after my baby was born. One thing that might help is to hold the baby in the exact same position on the left breast as on the right. For example if you are holding her in the cradle position on the right, just move her over so that you are holding her in the football position on the left. It might "trick" her into thinking she is still on the right breast. Also, try expressing a little bit of milk onto the left breast before nursing so she knows there is milk there. It's possible your left side doesn't respond with a let down as quickly as the right so she gets frustrated waiting for the milk.

If that doesn't work, try not to worry too much, just keep offering the left side and she will eventually take it. In the meantime, you may want to pump on that side to keep supply up and try to even out the size difference.
    My baby definetly favors my right breast, so when I feed on the left I hold her in the cross cradle position because I use football hold when she feeds on the right. This has really seemed to help us.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!