Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Honey while breastfeeding??

Question Honey while breastfeeding??

It was about time for lunch today and I was fixing dd1 a pbj sandwhich and I remembered that when I was a kid my mom used to make us peanut butter and honey sandwhices every once in a while as a treat. I though that sounded really good. As I was about to squeeze honey from the little bear, I stopped myself and though "Is honey safe whlie breastfeeding dd2?"

Does anybody know?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Default Re: Honey while breastfeeding??

I'm sorry I didnt understand the question did you mean is it safe for you or your LO?
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Oh sorry... I know it's not safe for children under one. Is it safe for me to have it while breastfeeding her?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

I don't think it's a problem (my non-medical opinion). Honey is only problematic because there is the possibility that a particular bacterium might be in it (I forget which one). Since it's not a problem for adults, it seems logical that it shouldn't be something you're likely to pass on through the breastmilk either. If that makes sense...

As far as I know, honey consumed by mom does not affect the nursing baby. I think a PB & honey sandwich sounds tasty, and I don't see any reason why you shouldn't eat it as long as you don't smear the honey on your nips!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It's ok. And the bacteria is botulism.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I got it from this site
    It's perfectly safe for a nursing mother to eat honey. The gut flora of adults and children over a year old are able to fend off the botulism spores that may be present in honey, and render them harmless. Since the spores would be killed in your gastrointestinal tract, they would not make it into your bloodstream and therefore cannot be present in your milk.

and this from kellymom.com

Honey is not a problem for mom to eat. The gut flora of adults and children over a year old are able to fend off the botulism spores that may be present in honey, and render them harmless. Since the spores would be killed in your gastrointestinal tract, they would not make it into your bloodstream and therefore cannot be present in your milk.

A baby's gut can't defend itself against the botulism spores, and so they can colonize the intestinal tract, germinate and release botulinum neurotoxin. As a result, honey is not recommended for babies under a year old. It's recommended that you avoid giving baby anything that contains honey, or make sure that the cooking process kills any botulism spores that might be present. To kill botulism spores, the food must be cooked at 240 degrees Fahrenheit (this requires a pressure cooker) for at least 15 minutes. Botulism spores are very heat resistant - it takes more than six hours of boiling at 212 degrees Fahrenheit to kill the spores. The toxin is less resistant - boiling foods (at 212 degrees Fahrenheit) for 10 minutes will destroy the toxin.

More information:
    Is It Safe for Pregnant Women and Young Children to Eat Honey?

Honey accidentally eaten by baby

Tanzi MG, Gabay MP. Association between honey consumption and infant botulism. Pharmacotherapy 2002 Nov;22(11):1479-83.

Infant botulism from FamilyPracticeNotebook.com
    Last edited by @llli*lilybug; November 21st, 2008 at 01:08 PM.
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    As far as I know, honey consumed by mom does not affect the nursing baby. I think a PB & honey sandwich sounds tasty, and I don't see any reason why you shouldn't eat it as long as you don't smear the honey on your nips!

I'll try to keep the honey away from my nips.

I figured that it was probably safe, it was just the paranoia coming out in me!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and