Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breasts not full after 7 hours of sleep! Why?

Default Breasts not full after 7 hours of sleep! Why?

Hi there,

My LO has just turned 6 months and has been on solids for the past 2 weeks. I noticed for the past few days that my supply has decreased, however I'm nursing her as per usual with no fewer feedings and pumping the same frequency. I woke up this morning after 7 hours of sleep and my breasts were unusually soft. My breasts are usually quite firm and almost leaking in the mornings. Yesterday I had forgotten and delayed to take my Domperidone and fenugreek for several hours. Would this affect my supply?

I currently take Domperidone 4X/day and Fenugreek 3x/day. I eat oatmeal once a day as well.

I have a supply issue as is, what can I do to help this situation?

Thanks in advance!

Mattea's Mommie
    Born: May 18 * 2008

Default Re: Breasts not full after 7 hours of sleep! Why?

I dont know much about the supplements that you are taking or if skipping taking them would cause this, but if your baby has been sleeping that long at night for a while, your body will adjust and not make as much milk during the time that your baby is sleeping.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    if your baby has been sleeping that long at night for a while, your body will adjust and not make as much milk during the time that your baby is sleeping.
    The body has a pretty incredible internal clock, and can become conditioned to make more milk when more is required, and less when less is required. If you want to boost your nighttime supply back up, try setting your alarm and pumping during the night. When I had supply issues, using a rental hospital-grade pump really helped. I pumped every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night, and had good results fairly quickly.

Can you tell us a bit more about your supply issue? Someone may know something that may help!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

At a certain point my breasts stopped feeling "full" but I was still pumping the same amount of milk. Take this morning, I woke up, breasts were nice and saggy () but I still pumped the same as I always do.

I think that after a certain point they start to even out and become less likely to engorge.

What about the mother who always felt full but suddenly does not? This mother’s milk supply may be regulating. That means that instead of tending to over-produce, the principle of supply and demand is starting to regulate the production of milk. It can take 6-12 weeks or more after the birth for the milk supply to regulate. While it can be very disconcerting for a mother when her breasts feel less full suddenly, it can actually be a blessing. Oversupply can lead to plugged ducts and mastitis. It can also give the baby problems with a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. So it’s a good thing if the milk supply regulates and the mother can rest assured that the wheels of supply and demand are functioning.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

My LO has been sleeping for about 11-12 hours. I would put her to bed around 7-730pm. I give her a bottle of EBM and nurse her before bedtime and would do a dreamfeed around 11pm. I try to pump after each feed as well. My breasts never really ever feel "full". She takes about 7 oz of EBM before bed and I know I do not make 7 oz!

I've been on Domperidone since LO has been 2 months. My left breast doesn't produce nearly as much as my right and she often refuses to feed for more than a few minutes as she gets frustrated.

I constantly worry about my milk supply!

Mattea's Mommie
    Born: May 18 * 2008

My breasts never really ever feel "full".
    After you've been nursing for a while, it's normal not to feel full. That full feeling often means that you're producing more milk than your baby is drinking. After a while, your body figures this out and decreases production to precisely meet demand.

She takes about 7 oz of EBM before bed and I know I do not make 7 oz!
    Most babies will eat a lot more from a bottle than they will from Mom. The milk drips into their mouths even after they've stopped actively sucking. My newborn would only take the normal 1-2 oz at the breast, but could take up to 5 oz from a bottle.

My left breast doesn't produce nearly as much as my right and she often refuses to feed for more than a few minutes as she gets frustrated.
    Having one breast that produces less than the other is totally normal. I have a lazy right breast and a very productive lefty.

Is it possible that the reason your baby refuses to nurse for more than a few minutes is that she has come to prefer the bottle? Many babies do- compared to the breast, it's really easy to get milk from a bottle. You can read more about nipple confusion here.

I constantly worry about my milk supply!
    It sounds to me like you are doing everything possible to make breastfeeding work, and I know that means you're working as hard as you possibly can. I would not worry about a decrease in your nighttime supply, though, as your daytime supply will probably remain constant. I know I worried when my baby started sleeping long stretches at night, but the body is really smart and my daytime supply never dipped.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"