Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: finger foods?

Default finger foods?

DS is turning 7 months in a few days and he has been taking pureed food well for the most part. We've just been playing around with them so far. The only one he seems to really enjoy consistently is the cereal.

Today I decided to give him a few peices of ultra-ripe banana to play with while I was feeding him. It was nice as it gave him something to do and he didn't get fed up of being in his chair as quickly. The only problem was that as soon as he got his fist around a peice of banana it would either mush up or go flying out of his hand. As entertaining as that was, I'd like to know if there are better first finger oods out there. I'm not very good in the kitchen but having my son has motivated me more in that area than anything before so any advice you ladies have would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: finger foods?

I know what you mean about the banana ... our little one had a hard time getting any in her mouth too (when she actually decided she'd try to put some in her mouth that is). Some of our favorites we've tried are watermelon (a favorite! we give her fist size chunks to bite off herself), avocado (either in thin, long slices or small cubes), sweet potato, nectarine, and we gave her a whole pear to play with - a very soft, ripe one. We are going to try soon ... cubes of silken tofu, winter squash and peaches. We always make the food something that she can easily grab onto with her fist.

Here is a page I have really enjoyed and am implementing it with our daughter's solid food introduction ... baby-led approach to the introduction of solid foods. I really like the idea of letting the baby set the pace and keeping the focus on play and exploration so the transition takes place as naturally as possible. This article and approach to solids was developed by a member of UNICEF, from the UNICEF UK Baby Friendly Initiative.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Dd loves all the melons--watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe served very ripe and in large chunks. I guess I am not sure if any are highly allergenic or not, but since we don't have a history of allergies, I haven't been too careful (just wait a few days in between to make sure I can tell if she does have an allergy what it is towards). She also loves fresh refridgerated apples to suck on--she gets the juice but can't get a piece off of the apple like she does with the melons. She also loved peaches, mashed, but these can be stringy when mashed to be careful. She couldn't really get it up off the tray so she just sort of smeared it around while I spoonfed her some. I really only give dd foods that I am eating. Like if I am having some peaches I will mash some up, or if I am eating melon, I will mash that. The sitter does feed her canned organic food now, because she really enjoys sitting at the table with the other little girl.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I personally really like the mushy ones-especially when 1st geting started because they are just tasting/exploring anyways. So bananas and avacados are weekly meals around here. Also watermelon (which has the bonus of having iron in it). New less messy ones are apple slices, bread ends, raw snap peas and sweet potato french fries.
    Last edited by DJ's Mom; August 16th, 2006 at 10:34 AM.

We have the "safe feeder" (the net bag screwed onto a handle) but she doesn't like it- too clunky for her, i guess.

I give my gal the mushy foods she loves in the toe of a knee high nylon stocking. I just drop it in and tie it off, she can mush it as much as she wants, but can keep a hold on it. I can also tie the end to the high chair (especially when we're at a restauraunt) so she can pitch it- but it won't hit the ground.

It also works great with breakable foods i'm worrried about her getting big chunks off. she can gum anything up pretty good, and get a lot out, but for some things- it's more about getting her used to new tastes, as she's a bit finicky.

Ok, I'm going to sound really silly so bear with me. DD is 6 months old. We started a few carrots, squash, sweet potatoes but the pureed baby food stuff.

Question, can she handle finger foods? I've looked at the LLL suggestions on finger foods and kellymom. She has no teeth yet, but believe me they are on their way

I know, I know, I have a teenager what did I do with her??? I can't remember dinner last night, no way I can remember that far back. Thanks for your input.

I bought the safe feeder for my son (he's 9 mo now) and he's loved it. It makes eating out (and even at home) a lot easier. When I went out to eat a few weeks ago, I got the salad bar and put some peas in it and when he was done with that I put a slice of pear in it. At home I'll usually put some grapes in it and he'll chew the heck out of it. I recommend it.

I've had several people (mostly pediatric nurses) caution against the safe feeder. Because it prevents babies from doing what they are naturally supposed to be doing right now. Which is learning how to swallow. I loved it when I saw it because I have a huge fear of my son choking. But after I read the research that p-t-m posted about child led eating I decided to trust mother nature. It seems to work. His tounge thrust mechnism pushes everything back out. the couple of times something made it over the hump, he gagged a little bit but I didn't panic and those things dissapeared!!

To get around the "slippery finger food" problem, try rolling the banana (or whatever) in the dust - i.e. fine crumbs - from a cereal packet. It really helps your baby get a grip!