Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What is going wrong!

Exclamation What is going wrong!

My lo and I are battling thrush again. Just when I thought it was gone, it has come back. She used Nystatin well after signs left. I used Nystatin ointment and took a single dose of Diflucan. I have followed all the strict guidelines for cleaning and disinfecting, never worn a shirt or bra more than once, added vinegar to the wash, and boiled everything in sight.

Help!!

Could it be the dd is not responding to the Nystatin? Do I need to do something else!

This is frustrating!!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Default Re: What is going wrong!

I would try Gentian Violet. My dd didn't seem to resond to nystatin. You can get Gentian Violet over the counter at pharmacies. I would call before you go though, it can be hard to find. http://www.bflrc.com/newman/breastfeeding/gentviol.htm
    This is what it took to get our thrush condition under control after six weeks of it. Good luck!
    Daughter of God, Wife to my wonderful Hubby, Mama to DD(8-28-08) Angel Baby (8-2-09) and due with DS (7-5-10)!
    We , , and all day long!

Gentian violet is what finally worked for me, too. I got mine at Walmart. You might check to be sure that your DH (and other kids if you have them) aren't having any problems with yeast anywhere- itching or burning. Pets can also carry it, so if you have an indoor dog or cat you might want to have them checked as well.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I guess I'll be making a trip to Walmart. No cats or dogs here, and DH and DD aren't having any problems.

My nipples aren't red or itchy anymore. I'm just having a sharp shooting pain in my breast when I am not nursing.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

If the other measures don't work you may need to do the 14 day fluconazole treatment. It is actually what Dr. Newman suggests because once the yeast gets into the tissue it is super hard to get rid of with just the one dose. They tried the one dose twice on me and it came back stronger each time, so they finally did the 14 days the last two times...Good luck...I have it again as well so I feel your pain!
    Last edited by @llli*nolies.mama; November 21st, 2008 at 01:02 PM.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Good to know I'm not along noliesmama!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We are battling thrush right now too. I have the nystatin, but I've also decided to switch to the gentian violet. I guess some strains of yeast are too strong to be killed by nystatin.

I called several vitamin stores here and my local Walgreens didn't have it, but I ordered it online and got it in 2 days.

Best of luck!
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

hope you guys are all fealing beter soon...

Rest is important!