Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: painful latch!!

Default painful latch!!

my right breast is very painful when he latches on and i check to see if he has a good latch and he does. what are some of the things that i can do between feedings to make if feel better i feed him? i try ointment but doesnt seem to work!

Default Re: painful latch!!

Can you describe the pain? Does it hurt all the time or only when you are nursing? Are your nipples red or have a rash?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

its only painful when i am nursing...i think its just because i have VERY sensitive nipples

how old is baby?

he is 4 weeks, i just was wondering what some inbetween remedies would be?
    Last edited by @llli*mollymegan2; November 21st, 2008 at 04:46 PM.

its ok to take what ever your doctor says it ok for pain.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

here are some hints from that link there are many more be sure to check it out

Breastfeed from the uninjured (or less injured) side first. Baby will tend to nurse more gently on the second side offered.
    The initial latch-on tends to hurt the worst - a brief application of ice right before latching can help to numb the area.
    Experiment with different breastfeeding positions to determine which is most comfortable.
    If breastfeeding is too painful, it is very important to express milk from the injured side to reduce the risk of mastitis and to maintain supply. If pumping is too painful, try hand expression.
    After breastfeeding, soak nipple(s) in a small bowl of warm saline solution for a minute or so--long enough for the saline to get onto all areas of the nipple. Alternately, put the saline solution into a squeeze bottle and squirt it on gently; use plenty of saline, making sure to get it on all areas of broken skin.
    Avoid prolonged soaking (more than 5-10 minutes) that "super" hydrates the skin, as this can promote cracking and delay healing.
    Pat dry very gently with a soft paper towel.
    If baby objects to the taste of the residual salt from the saline rinse, rinse directly before nursing by dipping nipple(s) into a bowl of plain water. Pat dry gently