Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: overeating

Default overeating

Hi, my LO is 5 weeks old. He has been a constant feeder since birth. He latched on immediately after birth with no problem and hasn't wanted to let go since! For the last 2 weeks, he has been way better in the day time and only eating every hour or two, however once 7:00 p.m. hits, he wants to eat constantly. He won't go 10 minutes without screaming for more. He will do that until midnight or 1:00 am and then he wakes up every 2 hours to eat during the night. I guess this is comfort sucking but it is also over eating so then he spits up quite a bit. He won't take a pacifier or a bottle of pumped milk. I can't let him cry like he is starving even though I know he does not need more milk. What do I do??
    He is a happy spitter, and I do not have a supply problem - even with all the eating he does, I can pump 3-4 oz per side. I am at my wits end because I can't even go to the grocery store without him freaking out, plus I don't get much sleep. We're co-sleeping now even though that is not my preference or else I'd be in the glider all night!
    Sorry so long, would love any advice! Thanks a million.

Default Re: overeating

Look at this link for OALD and see if any of that fits your situation. I'll be back with more thoughts when DD is done nursing

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Ok I'm baby free for the moment, we'll see how long it lasts.

If it doesn't sound like OALD then it could also be reflux. Ask your pedi about it and see what they think. Other then that I'm stumped, maybe someone else will have more ideas.

Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

It sounds like overactive letdown or reflux. Check out the link that the pp gave you.

I would definitely talk to the pediatrician about possible reflux. There are medications available that can work wonders.

How long does he feed? Reflux babies like to eat shorter meals, but more often.

One other suggestion....have you tried putting the baby in a sling/wrap? Sometimes babies with reflux don't want to lay down because it is more painful. This would help you get things done. Is baby happy when you are holding him? If so, I would try it. You can make one super cheap to try it out to make sure he likes it. After I knew that my son liked his, then I got a really nice one. Check out this site to do that!

It really does get easier Mama... I know it seems like this is never going to end right now, but it does get easier. The early weeks are very hard.
    But, it gets soooo much better. Hang in there, you are doing great!
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

congratulations on your baby!!

How much and how often does your baby spit up? If he is spitting up what seems like the whole meal, then he may be just getting hungry really soon after he eats and I agree you may want to look into the reflux issue. With that said, most of what you are describing is very normal for his age. DD would be attached to me every evening all evening just as you describe. She also hardly ever went 2 hours during the day. She also woke up many times a night. I was lucky if I got three hour stretches. I think that a lot of times we go into those early weeks and months of breastfeeding believing that babies should be eating every 2-3 hours and sleeping through the night by such and such time and when that doesn't happen it makes us think something isn't going right. When really, many babies just eat more often.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Thanks ladies! His pediatrician is aware (he spit up 4 or 5 times at his one month checkup). She said since he was a happy spitter, there was nothing we needed to do but she did say he was probably overeating. That was annoying because at his 2 week appt I said he was eating constantly and asked if that was OK. She said it was ok because ebf babies won't overeat and to feed on demand so she contradicted herself.

Now he has slowed down to eating every hour or two in the day, and he eats for about 20 minutes. He feeds on one breast per feeding. Evening time we do switch because he eats constantly. Overnight he eats every 2 hours - no idea for how long, longer than I am awake for!

I checked the link for oald (thanks for that) and he does spit up often and he does click sometimes but the rest is total opposite of him.

Thanks for your help

Glad to hear it doesn't sound like anything you should be worried about. Hopefully things will calm down a little after his marathon 6 week growth spurt nursing sessions pass. Well at least until the next growth spurt

Hang in there mamma!

My dd is going to be 12 weeks old, and we are going through a growth spurt here too! I am generally tied down in the evenings. Rest assured, it will pass and your baby will start to go longer periods in between nursing!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

How are his burps? My first daugther would feed just like that when she had gas. The nursing would make her gas feel better.
    Joyce May 5th 1998
    Natthaniel Nov 16th 1999
    Abbigale expected July 2nd 2008

interesting! his burps are about the same as a frat boy at a kegger and almost always followed up with spit up. sometimes I wonder if it is better not to burp him because he keeps his dinner down better that way. During the day his spit ups are normal, but by this time of night they are sometimes up to 1/2 an ounce.