Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help

Default Help

My son is now 20 weeks and we have been having problems since the beginning. I was getting plugged ducts every other day for two months, I think this was because of my oversupply. I started taking lecithin and it seems to have helped...now I only get them once a week. My question is did anyone else have the problem of not evening out at night for a long time? I am still waking up completely engorged and in pain. I am block feeding on 6 hour blocks during the day but my son sleeps 5-6 hours at night now so my breasts go 8-10 hours at night. I just need a little hope here that this will get easier..I hate breastfeeding and really am only doing it because I know it is good for my son. I don't know how much more I can take though of constant plugs and constant pain. I feel like my breasts always hurt. I get a really uncomfortable tingle/stinging every once in awhile. Is this let down? sorry for the long post.

Default Re: Help

Wow, you must have some milk supply to be doing 6 hour block feeds! I'm sorry it's making you so uncomfortable. I don't know much about oversupply- I had the opposite problem!- but the tingling/stinging certainly could be letdown, particularly if you notice that it comes when you notice your baby gulping really hard.

Have you tried herbs? Peppermint and sage are supposed to reduce your milk supply, so maybe one or the other would be helpful. I think there's a tea out there called "No More Milk Tea" or something that has both in it...

Hang in there! You're doing an amazing job!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Oh Mama

I have BTDT with oversupply and OALD, but mine evened off around the 16 week mark. I would expect that yours will slow down soon. I've read that sometimes women take Sudafed to help dry up their supply somewhat, but I don't have any idea if that would be helpful in your situation. Sorry. Have you posted in the oversupply forum? There are lots of Mamas here who have so many different experiences...I'm sure someone has been where you are.

I also experienced intense burning/stinging letdowns for the last couple of weeks before my supply evened out. Maybe your body is doing the same thing?

My heart goes out to you. I hope this resolves soon and you can enjoy your breastfeeding relationship. Kudos to you for persisting through all of this! You are going above and beyond to offer the breast to your babe. Lots of people would have quit. You should be proud...and keep it up Mama! It will get better!
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Thanks. I feel the intense let down in the opposite breast from the one the baby is feeding on but I also notice that he is gulping when it happens so I guess my breasts let down at the same time. I don't even know how to stop even if I wanted to because I have so much milk that if I tried to wean him I would just end up with plugged ducts. I don't know what to do. Is it possible that it will never even out? I had three days of plugs the past three days and I am miserable. My husband is trying to be supportive but I think he is sick of hearing about my breasts and how much they hurt every day. I just don't know what to do at this point.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Just keep on block feeding, and maybe try the peppermint tea or some cold cabbage leaves tucked in your bra- both are supposed to relieve engorgement. I know it sounds kooky, but it can't hurt, right?

You're doing a great job and you deserve a lot of credit for persisting when a lot of women would have given up.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Keep up the block feeds Mama. Could you make them just a touch longer? How long are your blocks currently? I have heard of one Mama whose supply was so abundant that it took 12 hour blocks to sort it out. Not that you have to go there, I just wanted to let you know that others have walked this road and lived to tell the tale

My breasts always let down at the same time. 24 weeks and I still leak from the other one that's not feeding DD. Agh, the laundry!

Hang in there! Keep up the lecithin. Have you searched the oversupply threads? There's a wealth of information on these boards, but sometimes you have to dig for it. Drink some peppermint tea as pp suggested. It's a mild solution. Are you using warm/hot compresses on the plugs and cold at other times? That may help.

Sorry I don't have more suggestions for you Mama. Don't quit! If DH is tired of hearing about the boobies, we are always here!
    Jess

I think I have tried just about everything. I drink peppermint tea every night before bed and I tried the cabbage leaves but really noticed no difference so I stopped. Right now my baby eats about every three hours so I feed on one breast at each feeding and it ends up being 6 hours before the opposite breast gets fed on. At night the problem is this stretches to 9 hours since he misses one feeding to sleep at night. I am afraid to make the block longer because that would mean during the day each breast would be drained every 9 hours (which makes me very full and gives me plugs) and then at night I would be going way longer which would kill me. I am not sure how to slowly increase the blocks since my baby gets so full at each feeding that he really isn't hungry again for at least three hours. I am going to ask the doctor about sudafed and possibly going on regular birth control to help maybe. My other fear is that we could have thrush. I read that thrush sometimes appears as repeated white plugs in the nipple, which is what I have. Though there are no other symptoms. My son has no symptoms and I don't have the shooting pain that I have heard thrush described as, just the plugs. Could it be thrush?

It doesn't sound like thrush to me Mama, but I am no expert

Maybe you could set an alarm and do a pumping session in the early morning? Might help you prevent the plugs and set you up with a stash?
    I'm fairly sure that those white plugs in the nipple are common with OS. Do you squeeze them out, or do they clear with nursing? I think those can contribute to the plugged ducts higher up.

I'm sorry I don't have any more ideas...i'm hoping a leader will chime in here with a fresh perspective...
    Jess

Wow, it sounds like you're in a tough situation. I'm sorry to hear you're having so much discomfort.

It doesn't sound like thrush to me either, although you could certainly ask your doctor to take a look just to doublecheck. The white nipple plugs tend to be dried milk secretions. You might try taking a warm shower or using a warm moist compress to try dissolving them and clearing them out. Sometimes if you express a little milk after loosening them up with moist heat it will help push out any dried milk that's left inside the pore.

Dried milk that's clogging the pores can contribute to plugged ducts, so perhaps watching for it and soaking the nipples in warm water regularly might help prevent some of the plugged ducts.

You might consider expressing a little bit of milk during the long stretch when your baby doesn't nurse. You could pump a little or else just express a little by hand -- just enough to ease the pressure and make you more comfortable. If it's only just enough to relieve your discomfort a bit it shouldn't increase your supply.

I'd be interested in hearing what suggestions your doctor has, when you get a chance to talk to him/her.

You're doing a wonderful job in a very difficult situation! I hope things even out for you soon. That is a long time to be dealing with the problems of oversupply.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

The warm compresses don't really work to get the dried plugs out and neither does the nursing...well it does but after an entire day of nursing constantly. I have been using a needle to remove the white plugs and then milk comes pouring out. My nipples really hurt though afterwards from doing this and I feel as though eventually it might cause an infection but I am so desperate to get the plugs out that I use this method.