Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breast aversion?

Default breast aversion?

I am worried that the experiences of choking through OALD have traumatized my son (11 weeks) so that he will never be happy breastfeeding. It is a huge battle everytime to get him to latch on - he screams if i even take him near the breast. He's okay in the night and when he's sleepy though. It's exhausting and upsetting.

I so much wanted to breastfeed but I'm losing hope.

Has anyone else been through this and come out the other side?

Also, has anyone heard of an overactive gag reflex and how this might interfere with BF?

Default Re: breast aversion?

I am in the same boat as you, and i feel like its sinking EVERY feeding is a nightmare, I feel like my baby hates me, as soon as I get him near the breast he loses it He is 9 weeks old, I too have OALD, he is colicky and it SUCKS. I want so bad to have the wonderful breastfeeding realtionship that other moms have, but I am seriously doubtful that it will ever happn. I have seen 3 different LC's, and nothing has helped. I am going to another one tomorrow, she is a Doctor from the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine, so I am hoping maybe she can help and to top it all off, I think he now has Thrush, we will find out toworrow........ You are not alone, if that makes you feel any better...

Sophie Dec 13 2005
    Dexter Sept 22 2008

6 weeks 3 months 6 months 9 months 12 months

So sorry you are going through this Mama

I also battled OALD and my DD refused the breast at times. I can't tell you how often DH would come upstairs to find us both in tears...it's so hard!!

There is light at the end of the tunnel though. Have you read through all the LLL resources about OALD? How about Kellymom? The change in positioning helped us somewhat, having her nurse uphill, so to speak. A lot of the time what worked for us was getting latched and nursing while walking around, either in the sling or in my arms. Totally exhausting, but it worked for us. I would sometimes offer a paci to just get her settled and then when she fell asleep I would slip her the boob

Just be patient and keep it up! I know you are discouraged and disheartened but even the craziest boobs tend to even out their supply by 12-16 weeks tops. Also, as your babe grows, he/she is better able to handle a fast flow, and many will complain if it slows down!

You are doing a great job for hanging in there Mamas! You will have wonderful nursing relationships with your lo's, I'm sure.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Thanks for the quick replys. I feel at my wits end, really stressed about it. I've read and tried so many things, sometimes they work but usually only once or twice. I think when he's sleepy its best but I'm scared that suddenly that wont work either. But I will hang in there. Thanks

The ONLY thing I have found that works for us is gripe water, if he won't latch and is screaming horribly, I put a few drops on his tongue, it startles him enough to stop crying andit makes him start to suck. Its probably not the best way to get him to eat, but it works for us.

Sophie Dec 13 2005
    Dexter Sept 22 2008

6 weeks 3 months 6 months 9 months 12 months

think i'm going to try and let him sleep on me all day so i can catch him just as he wakes. time consuming and tiring but at least i'll know he's getting enough. might try the gripe water thing too! i hear they grow out of it by 12 or so weeks so i'll keep you posted...

its great to know i'm not the only one (although i am also very sorry that you're experiencing it too!). if i explain to some people they just give me these trite answers like he's probably just tired etc and they just have no idea what its like!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessruff View Post
    The change in positioning helped us somewhat, having her nurse uphill, so to speak.
    Nursing while I was reclining really helped cope with OALD. My LO didn't choke this way and since she wasn't gasping trying to keep up she didn't swallow as much air and was less gassy/fussy. Hang in there, mama. You've made it so far, I'm sure things will even out soon.
    Megan
    Karina Abigail-born 8/2/2008

Made it a year!! Here's to a long and happy BF realtionship!