Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10.5 month old getting enough BM??

Default 10.5 month old getting enough BM??

DS is 10.5 months, and DH and I are both full time teachers (I commute 1/2 hour from home). We had a circus of a daycare switcheroo, but we finally have DS in a pretty good in-home daycare. I pump 2x a day at work and get between 8-10 oz. total in a day. The DCP is great and doesn't mind EBM, but DS drinks half of what I send - 4-5 oz a day, 2 oz. at a time. He eats his solids great, but he just won't take more than a couple oz. at a time 2x a day. At home he has a nursing session after work and before bed, and "mini-nursing" snack and comfort sessions for a minute or so at a time in between. Then he is up frequently at night to have a nip here or there. We co-sleep after midnight and he is in his crib until then. In th morning he will sometimes nurse before we get ready for the day. I can't tell how much he gets because he is sometimes a short feeder. A snacker. He's great w/solids, and loves to nurse, but won't take bottles well. 4 oz seems like a very small amount for a 9 hour daycare day. DS is a slow gainer and small for his age (partially due to genetics, I think). Should I be worried?? I want him to get enough BM. I know he is close to a year, so drinking less might be normal....right?? Any experience with the same or advice? TIA!
    Mama to William James born January 2nd, 2008
    Nursed 2 years, 2 months! and I think we're done!
    And our new Lucy Jane born March 30th, 2010, 7 lb. 4 oz., 20.5 inches

Pro-breastfeeding quotes:
    http://www.quotegarden.com/breastfeeding.html

Default Re: 10.5 month old getting enough BM??

I think he's probably doing just fine. My daughter started taking less and less of her bottles right around the same time and by the time she was a year old she was refusing them at day care altogether, though still nursed quite frequently in the evenings and on weekends- a similar schedule to yours I think. I was a bit concerned for the same reason- my daughter is small and has stayed right around 5%ile her whole life so far, but the pediatrician wasn't concerned since she was remaining consistent. So my point is that he's probably fine.

If you are still concerned, though, you might ask the day care providers to make sure they offer the bottles before feeding him solids, to make sure he isn't full right before bottle time. Also, they could try giving him bottles right before naptime when he is sleepy. Those were the last bottles my daughter gave up.

You're doing a great job, mama! Keep up the good work.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: 10.5 month old getting enough BM??

Thanks...I know DS has gone down in percentile, but pedi doesn't seem to be worried, so I guess I shouldn't be! If he didn't refuse to drink milk at daycare, I would feel better (he used to drink more...), but he just!!! I would probably notice other signs if he was malnourished, I guess!
    Mama to William James born January 2nd, 2008
    Nursed 2 years, 2 months! and I think we're done!
    And our new Lucy Jane born March 30th, 2010, 7 lb. 4 oz., 20.5 inches

Pro-breastfeeding quotes:
    http://www.quotegarden.com/breastfeeding.html