Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constantly Eating - Misreading her cues?

Question Constantly Eating - Misreading her cues?

LO is now 7 weeks, 1 day (corrected age is 1 week, 3 days). She's been feeding constantly, but not like when she was cluster feeding. She'll sleep for about 30 - 45 minutes and then cry to be fed. But the feeding isn't with the same "hunger" as usual. It's like she just wants to be on the breast. There are swallowing sounds, but just slowly. Normally when she feeds it's with determination.

I've thought that maybe we were misreading her cues, but I don't know what else it could be other than wanting to nurse. Changing her diaper, walking, talking / singing with her, holding her, putting her down, tummy time - we've tried it all. The only thing that settles her is nursing. She'll be on the breast for about 20 - 30 minutes, slowly nursing and then doze off. Only to wake again 30 - 45 min later to start over again.

What are your thoughts?

Default Re: Constantly Eating - Misreading her cues?

Growth spurt? It seemed like DD spent the first three months on my breast!

If baby is drinking, then she's just doing what she needs to do, in all likelihood.

As long as she doesn't have green, frothy poops or anything, I wouldn't worry about it. You could try doing some breast compressions to get more of the hindmilk into her...maybe she would stay satisfied a little longer? But honestly, they are growing so rapidly these first weeks that they do need to nurse a lot! She may also want to suck for comfort, but usually there's not much swallowing at all with comfort sucking. If you think that's the case, and you and your nips have had enough, you could try a paci. If she's not hungry she may take it.

Hang in there Mama. I'm sure it's temporary. Trust your lo and trust yourself.

ETA: just re-read your post. Your lo was pretty early. *I* would just continue to offer the breast. She's got some catching up to do, and I wouldn't want to interfere with that!
    Last edited by @llli*jessruff; November 21st, 2008 at 09:11 PM.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Thanks for the response. I'm just going with the flow and the "on demand" line of thinking. I appreciate the reassurance. I was thinking that she might be missing out on the hind milk due to the light nursing so I'll keep that in mind. Her poops are fine, so no concerns there.

By some miracle, she's asleep right now. We'll see how long it lasts.

Happy to help

I remember those first few weeks all too well!
    Jess

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    By some miracle, she's asleep right now. We'll see how long it lasts.
    Scratch this - she's chattering away. So I think she'll be up soon.

I've been really lucky because today we seem to have turned a corner in comfort. She's been nursing all day long, but I'm not sore at all. I've been a little more adamant about her latch and when she stretches, resetting her latch. Hopefully this is a sign of things getting easier.

she probably also loves the closeness of Mama! Remember, she grew inside you for the last 9 months...and now she is trying to adjust to the big world. It is very hard for some babies. And probably premature babies even more so. Don't worry, it will get better, I promise!
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    Scratch this - she's chattering away. So I think she'll be up soon.

I've been really lucky because today we seem to have turned a corner in comfort. She's been nursing all day long, but I'm not sore at all. I've been a little more adamant about her latch and when she stretches, resetting her latch. Hopefully this is a sign of things getting easier.
    Hurray! Every time things get a little easier it feels like a big accomplishment, yk?

Hope it's going well today.
    Jess