Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: toddler won't eat!

Default toddler won't eat!

my LO has never been that excited about solid food. now, at 16 months old, he hardly eats anything. (he does still get as much breastmilk as he wants though - i exclusively pump). but it seems he is eating less solids than ever before, and he has never been a good eater, or a big eater. for example, some days all he might eat is 10 cheerios and like 2 bites of apple. and then the next day maybe about 10 bran flakes and 2 pieces of meat. this has been going on for several weeks now. thank goodness he still gets breastmilk or i'd be really concerned. he doesn't act hungry, and is active, healthy, etc. i would guess he gets about 20 - 25 ounces of breastmilk each day. i read somewhere that toddlers should be getting like 1300 calories a day, and it seems he is way below that!

are other toddlers like this?

Default Re: toddler won't eat!

Yep, others are like this. DD goes through phases of eating everything to hardly anything at all. I watch a 19 month old girl and she just started doing this also. They grow and eat so much in the first 1-1/2 years, when they start slowing down in growth and don't eat as much it can be alarming. They eat when they are growing, they don't need as much when they aren't in the growth spurts.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

My 2 year old niece was the same way around that age. My brother and his wife were really worried about it at first until her pediatrician told them it was normal and that she wasnt losing any weight which was good. She's still very picky, but loves to snack, so they let her munch on things throughout the day. Also, she does drink quite a bit during the day so it tends to put a damper on her appetite. My son is 1 and just started sort of skipping dinner. He'd rather nurse than eat dinner most nights, but he does eat a good breakfast and lunch, so I havent been too concerned just yet. Good luck!

how much do your toddlers eat a day? like 1 apple, 1 hamburger, etc.

My 17 month old does this as well and it drives me insane!!! Somedays she eats alot and other days she eats next to nothing.. literally. Yesterday she ate 2 bites of toast for breakfast.. a few goldfish and like 3 bites of applesauce for lunch and nothing for dinner... but of course as much breastmilk as she wants...... Its normal I guess. I just try to offer her food before nursing her and I let her snack all day b/c she seems to eat more that way.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

your 17 mo sounds just like mine 16 mo. i feel better already! thanks mama!

Every time I start to think about weaning she has a day or a week where she eats next to nothing and I am thinking there is no way she would survive without all that breastmilk.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!