Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do you give your nursing toddler a daily vitamin?

Default Do you give your nursing toddler a daily vitamin?

DD will be 16mos next week. We have been giving her polyvisol (inconsistently) up to this point. At her 15mos check up I asked her ped about continued vitamin supplementation and he recommended a daily children's chewable w/ iron. But when I looked at the packages most weren't recommended for children under 2 or 3 yrs old (I'm assuming vitamin content as well as choking hazard?). The ones with iron were all marked for age 3 and up. DD has lots of teeth and eats all table foods, but a chewable vitamin seems like it would be a choking hazard for a 16mos old, especially the gummy kind.

Do you give a daily vitamin to your 1+yr old and if so, what do you give your LO?

ETA: DD is nursing 2-3x's a day.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Default Re: Do you give your nursing toddler a daily vitamin?

I've never given my 2.5yo any vitamins. And I have a hard time remembering to take mine
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I give my Son the Hyland Vitamin C in the winter. I should do it all the time but I don't worry about him getting sick as much in the summer.
    There has been much discussion here about the Poly vi sol thing and the longest most in depth discussion we had (You can search Someone called Just Sasha started it) my take from what the leaders jumped in and said was that you really don't need to worry about that supplement UNLESS you live somewhere like Alaska and literally can't get the baby out in the sun for 15 minutes a day. But other than that that supplement is pushed a lot by Pedi's who really don't understand the way breastmilk works and honestly believe that our children are somehow missing something because they aren't getting formula. Which is utter BS.
    If you are worried because you have been inconsistent about giving this supplement don't be. If you are worried about iron, feed iron rich solids and eat iron rich foods.. I give vitamin C because I believe in it as far as keeping our cells healthy. But I EBF from birth and we never had any issues with iron and one of the main things I fed him that 1st summer when he was starting solids was Watermelon. Which has 2% of what an adult's intake of iron is supposed to be so that's a lot for an infant. And I always ate spinach, eat spinach so he likes the way it tastes. And will eat it anyway we serve it.

Way too lazy for formula

When my boys were that little, we did not give vitamins. With us though, we were breastfeeding quite a bit more often than 2-3 times a day at 16 mos.

We now do a chewable vitamin for both kids. We started at about age 2 for our youngest.

With us though, we live in Minnesota...so pretty far North, IYKWIM. We actually haven't seen the sun more than once or twice in the last couple of weeks. It's been overcast and super cold 90% of the time. So for us, adequate Vitamin D really is a concern. Recent studies and a resurgence of rickets in children have lead the "experts" (whoever they are) to recommend doubling the daily recommendations for vitamin D from 200iu to 400iu. If you google vitamin D recommendations and children, you'll get tons of articles on the new recommendations. From the things I've read, it's almost impossible to get enough vitamin D if you live North of like 30deg. Lat. and Minnesota is far North of that point. Also, there's been recent research that seems to indicate that having adequate vitamin D is great for the immune system and that vitamin D seems to be pretty effective at keeping the flu away.

We also do vitamins because our youngest son isn't much of a meat eater so iron is something we're concerned about. In our area, it can be hard to find lots of good organic produce in the winter, and since he's 2.5, it can be hard to get him to eat enough iron containing veggies even frozen or canned. We use cast iron cookware to add a little extra iron into our diets, and we also do the vitamin just to help out.

If you do choose to do the vitamins at this age, I'd check with your ped. regarding daily requirements of someone so little so you have some sort of a print out and can look for particular levels in vitamins. There are some vitamins that you can overdose on and cause big issues, so I'd personally want to check that out.

Just some additional info: I'm in western NY and it's 20deg and overcast here now that winter is upon us, so the Vit D is important. I take a daily multivitamin so I know that helps, but her only sun exposure is the walk from the car to the sitters house and back (so 2seconds!).

I'm not opposed to giving her a daily multivitamin, I'm just not sure in what form (liquid, chewable, etc) to give it to her in.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

At that age I'd probably do liquid - although you could do chewable and crush it up into smaller pieces to eat. They make the chewable kind much more palatable than the liquid (infant) kind!

We give dd polyvisol w/iron and she's 13+mos old, but her iron level is a bit low. THey smell & taste nasty though, so I wouldn't recommend them unless necessary plus we have a battle with the iron constipating her, so it's a rough balance. I would be a little concerned about chewables too for choking at 15mos, unless you crushed up a Flintstones or something.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

I would just do a liquid vit D personally. That is all I give my 17 m old and she nurses about 4-5 times a day.
    Carlsons makes Vit D drops as does this company www.sunlightvitamins.com
    We live in the northeast as well and there definately isn't enough sun this time or year.. or if there is its wayyy to cold to be out there!!!!
    Does your toddler eat meats like ground beef? If so I wouldn't really worry about iron.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!