Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gulping choking and screaming while feeding

Default gulping choking and screaming while feeding

hiya guys so my little one is 9 weeks old she was fine with feeding up till about 2 weeks ago, now shell latch on for a max of 2-3 mins before screaming and crying I have no idea what to do, she does have colic although it only affects her at night, I ve tried everything re latching, sitting her upright because laying down makes it worse, Ive taken her to the doctor they've said nothing, its so upsetting, I carry her in a sling most days because there is no way she is going to lye down flat, Im taking her to an osetopath, dont really know what else to try she really gulps air when trying to feed not sure why because the latch is good, ive also looked into fast let down so i pumped off a bit but it didnt help at all any ideas would be really helpful

thanks

Default Re: gulping choking and screaming while feeding

It might be over active let down. I dont know too much about this, cause I never had this problem. Maybe your milk comes out to quickly, like when you bottle feed the nipple has to fast of a flow.

Again Im not to sure about this, but you may want to read about it and see if it might help ... sorry Im no help. Hopefully someone will come along and help
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Try reading this thread: http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=59595
    There are some links that may be helpful for you, especially the ones about oversupply. I tried to find some of my earlier posts because they have lots of info, but my LO is waking up from her nap and I have to run!
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=60014
    another link, she didn't wake up after all! sorry if this is very similar to the first link, I'm really tired today. I just wanted to tell you that this will get better with time. I literally counted the days from the time she was 6 weeks until she was 12 weeks (my first cut-off for breastfeeding if it wasn't working out) and just a few days before she turned 12 weeks things got better. Hang in there!

thanks guys Im gonna hang in there its just so upsetting to se lo screaming when all I want to do is feed her I have had a few tears over it because I worked really hard at breastfeeding and we were having a lovley time, just didnt know where it all went wrong

That just happens - try to remember that its not anything you've done wrong, your LO is a person too and is changing and growing at a rapid pace. It will pass, I promise! That much I do know!!!

ohh you know what, I have heard that moms with this feed in a block schedule.... again, I dont know what it is to explain it to you, sorry but maybe you can look that up too?
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

right so all advice taken on board what I did at her 3 o/c ish feed was wait for let down unlatch her and omg it was like a river rapid so covered the sofa and spray poor bubs in the head so that confirm oald for me I let it finish hrrrm squirting then latched her on again it was a lovley feed I was so happy I was in tears that finally after asking so many people and them just saying she was a fussy baby that after one post on this site my problems sorted( me hopes) thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much I wish Id known about this site sooner

we had the same problem, glad you figured it out! it seems to have gotten better for us as my lo has become a more efficient nurser.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*heather.78 View Post
    right so all advice taken on board what I did at her 3 o/c ish feed was wait for let down unlatch her and omg it was like a river rapid so covered the sofa and spray poor bubs in the head so that confirm oald for me I let it finish hrrrm squirting then latched her on again it was a lovley feed I was so happy I was in tears that finally after asking so many people and them just saying she was a fussy baby that after one post on this site my problems sorted( me hopes) thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much I wish Id known about this site sooner
    That's great news (I experienced the same thing with my LO who's 9 weeks too!) - I'm glad things worked out for you!
    Babies are Just Awesome

now cloth diapering that
    Mom to Liv, Soph & now Baby Nate Nate

Are you typing with one hand, too?

birth: 7lbs 14oz / discharge: 7lbs 1oz / day 7 8lbs 1 oz / day 14 8lbs 15oz / day 28 10lbs 7oz / 9 weeks 13lbs 12oz/ 17 weeks 16lbs 2oz
    / 6 months 19lbs 7oz