Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not sure what to do. Milk or formula?

Question Not sure what to do. Milk or formula?

I could really use some advice. I am currently nursing my 9 month old daughter, but we have run into some trouble. The last few days she has not been nursing as well as she once was and even then not sure she was nursing enough. I am considering weaning her because I am not sure what to do.

I feel that she is under weight (maybe only about 14 1/2 lbs), but not sure how to get her to eat more in order to gain weight. She is eating solids, but even that seems to have slowed the last couple days. I think she could be going through a growth spurt and that is why her eating has changed (my older daughter ate less when she grew) or if she is ready to be weaned or just on a nursing strike (she bite me and I yelled:( ). My problem is what to do if we decide to wean. I have talked to many former nursing mothers and each have a different story. If we wean should I put her on whole milk or formula? I know that milk should be avoided until 12 months, but she has tried other things with milk and has not had an allergic reaction so I think she would be okay. The one time she HAD to have formula (I was in hospital for c-section trouble and she could not be brought in to me) she ended up spitting it all up. She has started biting as well so she tends to bite more when she is not hungry any more. The only problem with that is she only nurses maybe 4 times a day (down from 7). Her diapers are good (8-10 a day), but still not sure if she is getting enough.

What do you suggest I do. Start giving her whole milk or formula? Any other advice would be fine as well. With my oldest I only nursed her for 2 months because she nursed too much for my liking. I was younger then and know now that feeding on demand is the way to go, but I did not know this when she was born.

Thank you in advance for you help.

Mommy of two girls~~Zoey 11/24/98 and Trinity 11/17/05

Default Re: Not sure what to do. Milk or formula?

milk is not recommened for children under 1 year because of possible allergic reactions. when you say she has tried other things with milk..what are you talking about exactly?

also, milk is not even that nutritious. breast milk and formula are much healthier.

nataliachick7 is right...whole milk should not be given to children under 1 year because of possible allergic reactions. you definitely want to try to continue to nurse her or express your breast milk and feed her that through a bottle. if you want to use formula, there are types that are for babies who spit up a lot. also, you should be able to go to your pediatrician's office to do a weight check if you are concerned about her weight gain.

Cow's milk should not be used as a baby's main drink until at least 12 mos. partially because of its allergenic potential, but also because it has the wrong balance of nutrients. The content of some minerals (like sodium) is too high, and there are some nutrients which aren't present in high enough quantities for baby to get what s/he needs. I read an article about a kid who became severely anemic from trying to subsist on cow's milk. If you really feel you must wean, I would seriously suggest you use formula. If there's any chance you might continue nursing, it's well worth contacting an LLL leader or IBCLC for help. They really do know how to tell what's normal and what to do if your situation needs improvement. Best of luck to you and your dear little ones!

I don't really have anything helpful to add (the other women have been more than helpful, as usual ), but I do have a funny story. We went to the lake for the weekend, and my cousin had her (nearly 1 year old) daughter there. Her husband kept trying to give her milk (she didn't BF, BTW) and my cousin kept saying, "No. They're not supposed to have it until they're one." Her husband said, "Her birthday is in 3 days!! I don't think it matters." But my cousin would not budge!! She said that she could have milk on her birthday if he just had to give it to her, but not even a day before. It made me laugh. Mothers are so funny.

Just something to keep in mind...
    You say she's had other things with milk, but what kinds of things? Lots of stuff has milk in it, but it's in small quantities and often it's cooked. Cooking milk will partially break down the proteins that cause an allergic reaction, so an older baby might be able to handle those foods but still not be ready for the large amounts of fully unprocessed proteins in a glass of milk.
    (aimee123, loved the story... I've seen similar things myself!)