Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: confused

Default confused

Hi ladies

So I went for my daughters 9 month check up last week. I've been so lucky and breastfeeding is going well. I planned to breastfeed for a year and wean when I go back to work at the end of January. But my family dr said that WHO recommends bf for 2 years. So I'm going to try and pump at work and see how it goes. My question is if it doesn't work out what do I do? My dr said put her on formula I've never heard of that before. She eats solid food now and after a year of bf only why put her on formula. I'm soo confused. I thought once we bf for a year we'd start homo milk. I'd really appreciate some advice. not really sure after a year what the next step is. thanks

Default Re: confused

I've never heard that. I was told whole milk after 1 year, not formula. I'm interested in seeing if something has changed since the birth of my first child and now.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*saevha View Post
    Hi ladies

So I went for my daughters 9 month check up last week. I've been so lucky and breastfeeding is going well. I planned to breastfeed for a year and wean when I go back to work at the end of January. But my family dr said that WHO recommends bf for 2 years. So I'm going to try and pump at work and see how it goes. My question is if it doesn't work out what do I do? My dr said put her on formula I've never heard of that before. She eats solid food now and after a year of bf only why put her on formula. I'm soo confused. I thought once we bf for a year we'd start homo milk. I'd really appreciate some advice. not really sure after a year what the next step is. thanks
    If you want to continue to breastfeed after you return to work, you can do that without pumping in many cases since baby is over a year old. You could breastfeed in the morning, and in the evening a couple of times or during the night if she wakes and she could drink whole cow's milk during the day with her care provider. If she'd still be breastfeeding 3-4 times a day, there might not even be a true need for the cow's milk during the day if she didn't like it.

The doc is right though, the WHO does recommend breastfeeding until 2 years, as do several other medical organizations. It is healthiest and best, until 2 or even longer, and the antibodies in the breastmilk will be a big help to her when your child is in childcare.

Your doctor is right about breastfeeding until 2 being the WHO recommendation, but it is not necessary to give formula past the age of 1. I pumped at work until my daughter was about 12.5 months. She was eating plenty of solids when I was not there and I made sure to give her plenty of high calcium foods because at the time she would not drink cow's milk. She was also still nursing very frequently when we were together so I wasn't concerned about her nutrition at all.

My point is that it probably won't be necessary for you to pump when you go back to work, although if you want to do so you can. You will probably want to plan to pump a little bit at first so you don't become engorged, and then wean yourself off the pump. Your body will adjust to producing milk at times when your child nurses, so in the evenings and weekends you will still have milk for your child even if you don't pump during the day.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous