Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Unusual Latch

Default Unusual Latch

my 7.5 month old has had a great latch up until now. In general she latches beautifully except she changes the latch every now and then. What she'll do is she goes from her usual latch (bottom lip touching the outside of the nipple/areola and the nipple up in the back/roof of her mouth) to sucking the entire brown area in (my nipple is about 2inch in diamiter). So much that she's not even getting milk...i'm not exactly sure why she's doing it. has anyone else had this happen?? Anyone think of why she would do that? I'm not sure of how to discourage her. I don't want to say no while she nursing because i'm afraid of discouraging her from nursing and i don't want to do that. I'm already working on her biting. This doesn't hurt the biting does.
    born 03/24/11, and and
    born 03/21/08 Breastfed for 2 yrs, and still when needed

Default Re: Unusual Latch

could you be pg?
    IT was very pain full to nurse my ds when I got pg with dd...

I have no pain when nursing...it just feels odd. and there is no chance i'm pregnant.
    Last edited by @llli*hummingbird; November 19th, 2008 at 05:57 PM.
    born 03/24/11, and and

Is this likely just a quirck of my lo....my lc has told me she's never seen such a infant with such a stong personality (this was when she was 2 months old). Now she's almost 8 and definatly has her own personality
    born 03/24/11, and and