Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting!

Default Biting!

My 9 month old has starting biting while nursing. It just started a couple of days ago, but it is getting worse. It is not just a bite here and there it is multiple times a feeding. I feel I have tried everything. I calmly say "no biting, that hurts mama" all the way to flicking her mouth (a friend said that worked for her) she just keeps on. It has gotten so bad the last 2 nights I have ended up giving her EBM because it hurts so bad and she won't stop biting. And today she hasn't even acted like she has wanted to nurse. I think it is started to really effect our nursing relationship.

Any advice??

Default Re: Biting!

Just wanted to let you know you are not the only one! My 9 month just started to bite the past two days as well, due to her top teeth coming in. I'm anxiously awaiting some other Mom's replies...please have some advice! It hurts!

When does she bite you? Is it after she nurses for awhile or in the beginning?
    From kellymom:
    "Biting at the beginning of a nursing session: If baby is biting at the beginning of a nursing session, make sure baby opens wide when latching on. If your teething baby is biting at the beginning of a nursing session, try giving her a teething toy or something cold to chew on before nursing. Praise baby when she latches on correctly, without biting."
    and this
    "If baby bites, it's not a good idea to scream or yell on purpose as a method to stop biting -- there are better ways to teach baby not to bite. Sometimes, of course, it's impossible not to yell in pain if baby catches you by surprise and/or bites hard. Sometimes yelling does stop baby from biting again; however, some babies think it's so funny that they continue to bite for the reaction, and other babies are so scared that they go on a nursing strike. The chance that this method will stop baby biting is simply not worth the problems it can cause."

Stopping the nursing session is generally the most effective way to teach baby that nursing and biting do not go together.
    More info here...
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html

HTH

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*simpleebella View Post
    Just wanted to let you know you are not the only one! My 9 month just started to bite the past two days as well, due to her top teeth coming in. I'm anxiously awaiting some other Mom's replies...please have some advice! It hurts!
    Also from kellymom..
    "When baby is teething: Biting can also be brought on by teething. If baby seems to be teething rather than wanting to nurse, offer her a teething toy or something cold to bite (instead of you). Offer baby a teething toy after a bite or "near miss." When you do this, tell her, "This is for biting. Be gentle when you nurse."

I would also make sure baby opens wide when latching on.
    HTH

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

Great suggestions and link from the pp!

DD tends to bite or nibble (they're both bad) when she is teething. For me I found that watching her positioning was the best help. I've gotten lazy about letting her lay in my lap while she nurses but when those teeth are dragging down on the skin , I am extra careful to lift her body up high so her mouth is even with the nipple. It takes all the pressure off and is so much less painful.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kaitlyns.mom View Post
    Great suggestions and link from the pp!

DD tends to bite or nibble (they're both bad) when she is teething. For me I found that watching her positioning was the best help. I've gotten lazy about letting her lay in my lap while she nurses but when those teeth are dragging down on the skin , I am extra careful to lift her body up high so her mouth is even with the nipple. It takes all the pressure off and is so much less painful.
    Yep, that worked for us too!
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!

Our biggest issues with biting were either stuffy nose or teething, if stuffy nose, she didn't bite as hard, but I just tried to use saline and the nose sucker to clear her out as good as possible before nursing and elevate her head a little. Before teeth were about to come in- OUCH!!!! I started giving dd ice chips before nursing when this was going on, and when she was teething really bad, I also gave her baby motrin & teething tablets. I also would be more conscious of holding her head closely and a little more firmly so she couldn't slip off and bite as easily. I also used the "no bite" in addition to these, but that alone wasn't enough. It really did help, and haven't had any biting problems in a long time.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

I am having the same problem. I really need some help.

My daughter is 9 months old, she just got her two bottom teeth in the last month. She is not sick and doesn't seem to be teething.

She started biting me a week ago. Right now she only nurses 3 times a day and has one bottle at daycare. At first she was only biting me at her last nursing session at night. I thought it was because my supply was low because I had my period, which always happens, and she likes a fast flow. She would bite right away in the beginning without even really trying to suck. That lasted a few days with her eating very little (or nothing) for that feeding. I was using the "no, no biting mommy" and sticking my finger in her mouth to release her teeth. After three nights like this she bit me so hard I yelled and I think I hurt her while trying to release her teeth. So that started a nursing strike for 2 days where she would only nurse first thing in the morning. If I even showed her my boob she'd start bawling.

Finally she decided that she wanted to try again, and went back to biting. So for the past 3 days she bites mostly just in the 2nd two feedings. And it's completely unpredictable. Sometimes she sucks for a few minutes and then just starts biting and won't suck again. Sometimes she just bites from the beginning. She hasn't had a full nursing session for the 2nd two feedings in a week now. I've been trying now to have no reaction to the bites, because she has started laughing at me when I respond. I also try giving her something to chew on and then trying again after a few minutes. Nothing seems to work.

We've been supplementing with bottle of EBM. She's always hated taking bottles and now she's even worse. No one but me is allowed to give bottles after a failed nursing session. She takes like 30-40 minutes to drink like 3 oz. So since she's back at daycare today, I gave them two bottles and I'm going to not go feed her in the afternoon for the first time since she started daycare at 4-months, so that hopefully she'll at least eat something. She does eat a lot of solids, so I'm not too worried about her starving herself.

I'm really not ready to wean, but the biting is unacceptable, especially since she doesn't even drink in between biting.

Sorry this is so long! I've read all the info on Kellymom and LLL and from all the books I own about breastfeeding and babies and I really can't find any useful information.