Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weight gain

Default weight gain

My 4 month old is not gaing weight well...she only gained 10 oz in the past two months...we had some weight gain issues right after birth, but they were resolved within a month. I do not like the "charts" at the Dr.'s office, but according to them she is now in the 5-10 % where before she was in the 50%. She is a petite baby but I am concerned that there was a big drop in her weight gain. She seems to be eating fine...she emptys one breast and then eats some on the other side. She has anywhere from 5-8 wet dapers a day. Her poops are not daily but she has one every three days at least.

My doctor wants me to supplement with formula but I do not want to do that...as of now, I am pumping after each feeding and supplementing with that.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or what I can do to help my LO gain weight? Do I need to be eating differently?
    Mom to baby girl 7/15/08 and baby boy 4/13/10.

breast feeding again

I'm a mama.

Default Re: weight gain

Are you eating well, particularly enough protein?

I am trying to eat lots of veggies and I make sure that I have some sort of protein at every meal...but I do not know if that is enough.

I also forgot to mention that my Lo seems satisfied after each feeding...but she is still taking the expressed milk bottle after I feed her.

breast feeding again

I'm a mama.

Her diaper output sounds good.

Can you post her weights? The reason I ask is that most pediatricians use a chart for formula fed babies.

This is the chart for girls.

A sharp drop like that is concerning, but it wouldn't be that she isn't getting enough milk from you...not with that kind of output. I am wondering if she was weighed on different scales...

Some moms like the reassurance of renting a hospital grade scale so you can weigh baby before and after a feeding.
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

Here are her weights:

birth 8 lbs 2 0z
    1 week 7 lbs 15 oz
    2 weeks 8 lbs 1 oz
    4 weeks 9 lbs 20 oz
    2 months 10 lbs 4 oz
    4 months 10 lbs 14 oz

I weighed her on our scale at home and it shows that she weighs about 10 lbs.

I go in for a weight check in a week, so we'll see what happens then.

breast feeding again

I'm a mama.

I am having the same problem with my little boy. He was 10 days early and only weighed 5 lb 12 oz at birth 19 in. long. He gained weight great and got up to the 50% quickly for both height and weight. Then 2 days ago at his 5 month check up he was only 13 lbs even (only 1 pound since his last visit), and height only increased a little. Half inch I think. Yesterday we went to hospital and had Berium(sp) swallow (upper GI) done to look for problems because he projectile vomits too and all was clear and normal. Worrying like crazy. Ordered a baby scale (only $30) when it gets here plan to wiegh before and after each feeding. Bfing and 1 4oz rice cereal a day. I really need help and advise on what to do. Dr said might be reflux but radiologist said nope and not pyloric stenosis. HELP!!! I do still have ppd and on 50 mg Zoloft. Also little man has wheat allergy. Thanks gals

my lo had same prob, but different peds react in completely opposite ways lo lo was
    Birth 6.5 (7/19/08)
    2 weeks 7.2
    2 months 8.5
    3 months 9.2
    4 months 10.8
    and according to the childrens hosp here in my state she is in the 85th percentile for exclusively bf baby girls, GI doc said she was great!
    my lo also has a semi bad case of reflux and takes meds 3x a day
    we will start cereal in a month!!
    First time Mommy to Gianna and lovin' my Lil' Family! Head over heels for my DH

Almost one year and counting!!! Love to and

My DS did this when he was around the same age, and Dr's wanted me to supplement; reluctantly we did ... to no avail. They were about to classify him as failing to thrive and I asked the Doc for just one more week. My hubby cooked like crazy making some great meals. I stayed in bed as much as I could stand, and kept him by my side, skin-to-skin and nursed around the clock. He put on a pound in a week after not gaining a single ounce for a month.

So ... rent some movies, order lots of delivery, eat ice cream and crawl into bed and snuggle!

Some common causes of low weight gain are pacifier user, sleeping through the night, eating on a schedule, that sort of thing? Are you trying to do it all or being easy on yourself? My sister and LLL both had babies with weight gain problems when they tried to take on too many extra responsibilities.

You can do the pumping if you like, but its not totally necessary. Your baby is the best pump! The best thing is to offer your baby the breast more often, throughout the day and night. You'll be surprised how often she'll take it! As she's 4 months old and may be getting distractable, take her into a dark quiet room. The lying down position is great, DS always ate better that way. Clear your schedule. Offer her the breast whenever she wakes, whenever she goes to sleep and every hour while she's awake. Always offer both sides at every feed. You'll see results soon!

samigirlsmom has given you excellent advice. Many other women have had the same problem, done the same thing, and their babies have had tremendous weight gains.