Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polyvisol vitamins

Default Re: Polyvisol vitamins

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mollyb View Post
    The problem is that Vit. D ONLY supplements are not widely available in the U.S. even though they are the only supplement that the AAP recommends. It makes no sense. But I was able to find one that I like for my DD since we live far north:
    Carlson Labs Baby D-Drops
    I just have to say, that since Molly posted about the Baby D-Drops awhile back, we too have gotten on the bandwagon and gone that direction! Since the new research and the new vitamin D recommendations for kids came out a couple of weeks ago, and the recent research about Vitamin D being perhaps more effective at keeping the flu away than flu shots, we knew it'd be a good idea. We bought the baby d-drops for all of us to use, because you need just one drop, and because it has the full daily recommendation for babies and older children too. I know my older boys would rather me put a drop of this in their OJ than me making them take cod liver oil or something like that

We found this site here: http://www.vitacost.com/Carlson-Vitamin-D-Baby-Drops I used their chat live feature last night, and they say they are a U.S. company with several different U.S. warehouses.

Since I live in Ontario, the grey days have set in and sunny days, despite our recent chinook, are far and few between. I have always used Enfamil's D-Vi-Sol with my LOs in the winter months because of the climate I live in and the fact that my children are partially of West Indian descent. It comes as a liquid and each day I give my LO 1 mL (which has 400 IU of Vit. D w/o any other additives). I did not know about the flu benefits (I don't do the flu shot) so that's great to know!
    Babies are Just Awesome

now cloth diapering that
    Mom to Liv, Soph & now Baby Nate Nate

Are you typing with one hand, too?

birth: 7lbs 14oz / discharge: 7lbs 1oz / day 7 8lbs 1 oz / day 14 8lbs 15oz / day 28 10lbs 7oz / 9 weeks 13lbs 12oz/ 17 weeks 16lbs 2oz
    / 6 months 19lbs 7oz

I didn't know about the flu research! That's great. (We don't do flu shots either.)

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I use the tri-visol, which doesn't have the iron...I accidentally purchased the with iron drops once, and threw it out because it was so gross...the smell was so disgusting when I opened the bottle I knew I got the wrong stuff. I tasted it to see if it was bad as it smelled (it definitely was). I can't believe they try to give this stuff to innocent babies!!. I'll be looking for the vitamin d only drops now that I know they exist!
    Blessed mommy of one amazing girl and one charming boy.

my lo doctor recommended D-Drops. I love them and find them easy to use, plus it doesn't have any of the other unecessary stuff and really easy to administer!
    born 03/24/11, and and
    born 03/21/08 Breastfed for 2 yrs, and still when needed

I'm glad to see this thread--I was thinking of posting one. We were prescribed a tri-vitamin (A, C and D) with flouride but haven't started it yet. Dr. said it was ususlly prescribed for babies 4 months and up, and this was at the two-month check-up. We're in WA state, so I'm sure we all could use more vitamin D here , but this fall has been especially mild so we've been out for many walks. I would have thought that everything my baby needs is in my BM, and if I'm getting enough vitamins, the baby should too, but the dr. said BM didn't have much vit D. I just don't know how pro-BF he is, since he reminded me unsolicited that I could start mixing cereal around 4 months.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamabear View Post
    I'm glad to see this thread--I was thinking of posting one. We were prescribed a tri-vitamin (A, C and D) with flouride but haven't started it yet. Dr. said it was ususlly prescribed for babies 4 months and up, and this was at the two-month check-up. We're in WA state, so I'm sure we all could use more vitamin D here , but this fall has been especially mild so we've been out for many walks. I would have thought that everything my baby needs is in my BM, and if I'm getting enough vitamins, the baby should too, but the dr. said BM didn't have much vit D. I just don't know how pro-BF he is, since he reminded me unsolicited that I could start mixing cereal around 4 months.
    The doc is actually right about the vitamin D, even though he seems to be off on some other info. Vitamin D is mostly produced by your body in a resonse to sunlight. So if baby was getting adequate daily sun exposure on bare skin, then she probably wouldn't have a need for a supplement at all. A few foods have naturally ocurring vitamin d as well, like I think...cod liver oil...though I don't think I can stomach that myself

ERRRR...cod liver oil? No thanks.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!