Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polyvisol vitamins

Question Polyvisol vitamins

Our pedi reccomended we give dd these daily because of the lack of vitamin d in bm. thought bm had everything baby needed. Anybody else use these?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Default Re: Polyvisol vitamins

It's true the American Association of Pediatrics recommends a Vit. D supplement for bfed babies. But it also depends on the amount of sunlight your LO gets and other factors:
    Does my baby need extra Vitamin D?

Also, poly-visol has a lot more in it other than Vit. D that IMO a bfed baby does not need. IMO all that extra stuff, especially the iron, can mess with baby's digestion etc.

The problem is that Vit. D ONLY supplements are not widely available in the U.S. even though they are the only supplement that the AAP recommends. It makes no sense. But I was able to find one that I like for my DD since we live far north:
    Carlson Labs Baby D-Drops

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

We used them for a while (without iron). It smells bad and God help you if it gets on your clothes but he didn't seem to mind it. We normally mixed it in with the bottle of EBM he had in the mornings when I was at work.

If you are able to get your baby in direct sunlight for 10 minutes a day (not through a window), that is all you really need to get Vit D. Excellent advice from the PP's!
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

Our pedi recommended it forevery day last winter because 1) Birmingham can be awfully dreary/gray in the winter and 2) we were not inclined to be outside due to exhaustion and she was so very little the cold would have gone right through her. Instead, I did it every OTHER day and took her outside on days when it was in the 50s or 60s (which happens at times in Alabama during winter ).

We stopped using it sometime around April. we started using it again recently because she is small for her age -- not in height or head circumference, but she's downright skinny and underweight. At present I amdoing the every-other-day thing but may increase it to every day as the days get shorter.

It does smell bad but is allegedly fruit flavored. When she was real little, she didn't notice the difference in the taste of pumped BM so much (or didn't care). Now she notices and at times outright rejects it. So I have the feeling the PolyViSol doses won't last much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mollyb View Post
    It's true the American Association of Pediatrics recommends a Vit. D supplement for bfed babies. But it also depends on the amount of sunlight your LO gets and other factors:
    Does my baby need extra Vitamin D?

Also, poly-visol has a lot more in it other than Vit. D that IMO a bfed baby does not need. IMO all that extra stuff, especially the iron, can mess with baby's digestion etc.

The problem is that Vit. D ONLY supplements are not widely available in the U.S. even though they are the only supplement that the AAP recommends. It makes no sense. But I was able to find one that I like for my DD since we live far north:
    Carlson Labs Baby D-Drops
    I don't think breastfed babies need all that extra stuff either. Just Vit D if you live in a climate where its now winter and dark etc... I just give my lo vit D too. Carlsons is great as is Just D... www.sunlightvitamins.com

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

my ped has us giving dd a multi that has D, A , C and fluoride, he said after 6mo they need the fluoride and with it being winter she won't be in direct sunlight and extra C help prevent illness and A helps the body absorb the C. We just do 1ml every morning after bf.
    Theresa with moby wrapmy little so I can work too
    13mos and counting

Definetly can't do direct sunlight most days her in St. Louis. It's downright cold here, and will stay that way for quite a while. I'm going to look into the vitamin d only supplement. We're currently using the Polyvisol without iron. They do stink. I make sure to give them to her when she is undressed too. It stains bad!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

The D-drops don't stink or stain or anything. They are a clear, tasteless liquid and you just put a drop on your nipple when your LO is nursing. My DD doesn't even notice.
    I tried giving my DD1 polyvisol when she was a baby once-with ebm- and she projectile vomited it.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

We also used the Just D from Sunlight vitamins and were much happier than the polyvisol. I only used in the winter when it was hard to get lo out, but we also live in Fla. We just started on the polyvisol w/iron because she needs the iron, & yes they stink and taste yucky. Plus, the iron can constipate them, so if you do use polyvisol, I wouldn't get the kind with iron unless your lo has low iron, cuz constipation is no fun.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...