Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: slow let down question

Default Re: slow let down question

Alas, we find out about the nipple twists!

DD didn't fuss at left breast at all yesterday! We'll see how today goes.

I do not feel letdown near as much as I used to.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

My supply is back up!

I think it was due to a minor case of mastitis, in addition to stress and not drinking enough water.

Glad to hear your lo was not fussy at the breast, either.

Mine is much better, now, too...

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Well, I am 13 years older. I have an 8th grader whom I need to give breakfast and pack lunch for every morning when I would otherwise sleep. And also the little one is a fussy eater, so my supply goes up and down.

I've had stress coming from all different directions when I first started having letdown problems. But now my main source of stress is that stupid letdown itself. I've had a couple of episodes of my baby screaming pulling off the breast and having to decide to stop trying and go make a bottle (while he is screaming). Every time I am about to nurse, especially in the evening, I am terrified of repeating that which of course only makes matters worse.

Wanitall

I totally understand. I've had the same thing with both my babies. I had over supply issues at first and they would scream from OALD...

Then when the under supply hit a few months later, they were just as mad.

I just got over mastitis and had an undersupply issue where I had to give my lo a few oz. from a bottle three or four days in a row.

I also had a lot of stress when I went to go and nurse her again...

I have used herbal supplements, extra pumping, and night nursing to help me get my supply back up.

Do you think any of those would work for you?

I also tried to relax (yeah, right) and feed her in different positions...

She likes side nursing or when I nurse on all fours and let my boobs hang over her. It's a little weird, but I figure, if it works it's ok!

let me know how you are doing - I'd be interested to hear if any of those things work for you. You are not alone! It's a lot of work to bf, especially if you have another child at home. HTH

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Thanks! I've actually tried most of these things before. I feel that my son's erratic feeding habits are really the biggest enemy of my supply. It would go up and then he would decide to replace his meals with "snacks" for a couple of days. The sitters can barely get more than 2-3 ounces per feeding into him and he does the same with nursing. He is also very easily distracted and, frankly, sometimes lazy - I'd move him to the second breast and the milk there may not flow as easily as right after the letdown and he just gives up. I have neither time nor energy to pump after nursings, so my supply does down.

I am tired of this rollercoaster. Plus, I feel that he might have been eating more if I was giving him formula because I wouldn't be as stingy with it as I am with breastmilk. I don't want to offer him more than what he usually eats (4 oz) because if he doesn't eat it, it would be wasted. With formula I wouldn't care if it got wasted.

Wanitall

I'm sorry it's been so hard for you.

It is a HUGE commitment, and I've struggled also with when to switch to something else.

I'm not sure what you mean by it helping to have given more formula. Do you mean when your lo is with a babysitter?

I hope you can work out the bumps!

Best of luck!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

I've noticed that my let downs have changed over time too. Sometimes I don't feel them but I know its happening because I can see the milk when I pump. Other times I don't have let downs at all and the milk seems to just trickle out while pumping. I can gauge things best while pumping because I can see the milk.

Anyway when I don't feel like the milk is coming out I just use breast compressions and try to get things going that way. I read somewhere that its supposed to help letdowns and it seems to work for me. If I just pumped without compressions, I wouldn't get half the milk I do.

As for while nursing, my baby likes to marathon nurse over night and she can get let downs to occur much better than while pumping. I find that letting her nurse more and more helps letdowns.

My letdowns are also like clockwork. I might have a couple to start but then 15-20 min. into pumping I'll always get another. Although I can't always feel the let down in my boobs, I can tell when it will happen because I get a feeling like a nervous feeling about 30 seconds before...jittery heart and short breathe.

I was having issues with slow let down a while back. Was very frustrating... My LC suggest my husband give me a shoulder massage right before a feed and it helps the letdown.. It worked a great deal for me and i got a massage
    mummy to Izzy 2 yrs (BF 14 months)

Mummy to Rosa 5 months (BFing)
    Mummy to Freddie 5 months (Bfing)

Cool ideas! I looked back at this thread because I'm still experiencing slow let down in my left breast.

I wish I could see the way that others do compressions. Feel difficult to do (for me anyway) especially while pumping.

How do you do compressions while pumping????

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    Cool ideas! I looked back at this thread because I'm still experiencing slow let down in my left breast.

I wish I could see the way that others do compressions. Feel difficult to do (for me anyway) especially while pumping.

How do you do compressions while pumping????
    I just massage my breasts a lot while I pump. Have you tried this?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!