Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: slow let down question

Default slow let down question

I have been experiencing slower let down in the evenings. I know my supply has been up and down due to working. But for the last three or four nights my 4 mo old has tried to nurse at her last feeding, gets frustrated, cries, and then as a last resort will take 2-3 oz. of ebm from a bottle (slow flow nipple).

Obviously, I'd rather nurse her.

She also has been falling asleep and waking up 2 hours later to nurse.

She will nurse all night long in her sleep and fine in the morning - just the evening time is tricky.

Any thoughts?

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Default Re: slow let down question

I was just getting ready to start a new thread about the same thing. For me it only seems to be in my left brest. She gets soooo mad! Sometimes I have to let her nurse on the right first so she can get some milk and then put her back on the left.

I wasn't sure if it was possible to have a slower flow on just one side, because I can tell she can get what she wants a lot quicker from my right breast.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Do you have any tricks that you use when pumping to help with your let down? Maybe try some of those when nursing your lo.
    Like a warm drink, warm compresses on the breast just before nursing, listening to soothing music, put your feet up and try to relax.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

I was about to start a new thread on the same thing too! I first got that problem almost 4 weeks ago. I'd all of a sudden get no letdown at all when I nurse. And then half an hour later I'd pump 4-5 oz. So, I know the milk is there. Of course, I would panic and start tensing up every time I nurse which creates a vicious cycle. I almost gave up breastfeeding! I started doing warm drinks, warm compresses, etc., but the only thing that seemed to work were nipple twists. Now that seems to have stopped working too.

My doctor thinks it is because I pump, but I don't pump that much, so I don't know.

My son is 5 and a half months old, so I could switch him to formula. But he is a night feeder and I just hate to think about having to make bottles at night.

Wanitall

I do not have a problem with letdown in my left breast when I pump at all. I usually notice let down 3 times in about 10 minutes. I think maybe my problem is that my right brests letdown is much faster than my left, which is what frustrated my lo. Is this possible?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

Interesting...my problem is mostly in my left breast also. It always produces half what the right breast does. We went through a couple of weeks where my lo wouldn't eat on the left hardly at all. that made things worse. Now, she'll eat off the left mostly, but still gets mad about let down.

I'm not worried about feeling the let down. I know the let down feeling can go away - and I know it doesn't mean that I don't have enough milk - I just hate that my lo gets so frustrated that she won't eat. And then she just cries and cries and I have to give her a bottle.

I think using the techniques for pumping during nursing are a good idea. I wish I had some other ideas - if anyone knows of anything let me know.

By the way, what are nipple twists???

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

My left breast is definetly the under acheiver. This doesn't happen every nursing session either. Maybe just twice a day. If I can't get her to calm down and start with the left breast, I'll put her on the right and then switch her back to the left when she is done. I don't know what nipple twists are either.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

Sounds like about what I do...with switching breasts.
    Hopefully, we'll hear about nipple twists...
    I'm quite interested!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Sorry, ladies, I can't post at work.

Nipple twists are when you take a nipple between a forefinger and a thumb and gently twist in one direction, then back, and back and forth like that. At least that's what I do. I read about it on kellysmom, I think.

It doesn't always work, but it has given me a couple more weeks of breastfeeding so far, couple more weeks after I thought it was over.

I just wish I could just respond to my son's sucking like I used to and not have to do anything like that. I don't know what's wrong with me.

I have a 13 year old whom I've breastfed at least part time until he was 1. Never had any of these problems. But I also couldn't pump. I can't help wondering if that's what messed me up.

BTW, I still feel my letdown when I have one. So, I know when I don't.

Wanitall.

Thanks for letting us know about nipple twists...

I've pumped a lot for both babies that always seemed to help me, but everyone is different, I guess...

I know that sometimes a let down can happen without being able to feel it. I remember when my first lo was about 5-6 mo. I stopped feeling my let down, but I still had milk.

He was fussy at first, but then he adjusted to the speed of the milk.

Maybe you are under more stress, less sleep, etc. with this baby?

Do some more research...I'm sure you'll figure it out!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months