Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing with the other side.

Default Playing with the other side.

Okay DS has started really playing with the nipple he isn't using while nursing. He only nurses before bed and in the early AM. Is this normal? I redirect his hand and he forces his way back up there.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Default Re: Playing with the other side.

Very normal and very annoying! This is one of the main reasons I was considering weaning a few weeks ago, because I couldn't stand it and it would cause a total screaming meltdown as well as trigger additional hurting (biting, hair pulling, etc) when I tried to block or redirect her hand. We decided on no more nursing in bed, and if the twiddling gets beyond a gentle pat then the milk is put away for a few minutes. It didn't bother me too much at first but as DD gets older it gets more intense and more annoying. I would nip it in the bud now before it gets to be an ingrained habit.

I have two sisters who have dealt with this. Very annoying and very normal. One of my sisters is convinced her daughter does it to stimulate more let downs.

You could try a nursing necklace or just gentle discouragement.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Waylon is VERY attached to my breasts. He has to have both hands on my other nipple while he nurses . Its annoying, but he's gentle most of the time, and if he isn't gentle, i won't let him nurse.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I only take out one "side" at a time.

DS does play with my hair and fingers (we count my fingers as I open and close my hand) and face (teeth, nose, ears).

If he's playing with the breast / nipple that's out I say "oh - you're playing - that must mean you're all done with mommy milk" and I make a move to put my breast away. DS either stops playing and goes back to nursing or agrees that he's done.

If twiddling the other nipple is okay with you then let your LO twiddle away. If it bugs you then for a toddler I think it's totally okay to work on nursing manners and set some limits and define what is acceptable behavior.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    I only take out one "side" at a time.
    I only take out one side at a time, his little hand seems to find a way under my shirt and into my bra.

And thanks for the tips ladies, I'll dig out the nursing necklace again. I've thought about not nursing in bed but anymore the only way thats comfortable for both of us is side laying so I'm not sure that'd work too well.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

We have a double-hand, other-side twiddler here as well. LOL!

It's a great reminder for me to keep her nails nice and trimmed!

I think it's very sweet when she's gentle and tired and just kind of patting or rubbing. The pinch, twist, and pull thing TOTALLY sucks, though!

This is my DS new found game. He loves it! It does get annoying. The other "boobie" game he's been playing is blowing fart noises while nursing. He cracks him self up, and then I can't help but laughing. Not good to encourage bad behavior, but it is so stinkin' funny.

My son did this as well. I tried to be firm with him and set-up nursing manners. It actually worked!! I convinced him his nails had to be short and now he asks to have his nails cut. Pretty funny for a 3 1/2 year old. We settled on the bellybutton as an alternative. It works for us.

The nursing necklaces never worked for me but many have luck with them. It is helpful to keep in mind that as the little ones get older the nursing relationship changes when they are able to communicate. Extended nursing truly has some funny moments!!

Happy nursing!

Logan is a big time twiddler! He has to have both breasts out when he nurses, and loves to do the nip twist. I just keep his fingernails short and tell him 'ouch that hurts mommy' if he does it too hard. Then he stops!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09