Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eating right?

Lightbulb Eating right?

How often am I supposed to be eating and what is the best to eat while nursing? I eat yogurt and cottage cheese w/ fruit..chicken etc. Any suggestions on healthy foods that are moderately priced?

Default Re: Eating right?

How often am I supposed to be eating
    The general rule pf thumb is to eat when you're hungry and drink when you're thirsty. If you find yourself getting hungry in between meals, try adding in some nutritious snacks- nuts and raisins, cheese and whole-grain crackers, a cup of yogurt with some fruit, etc.

what is the best to eat while nursing
    A healthy diet is a healthy diet regardless of whether or not you're nursing. Lean meats, fish, lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy products. Try to avoid heavily processed foods that are loaded with fat and sugar, and also avoid high mercury seafood like shark, tuna, and mackerel.

If, like most moms, you want to lose some pregnancy weight, there's a book out there for you: Eat Well, Lose Weight, While Breastfeeding by Eileen Behan.

Any suggestions on healthy foods that are moderately priced?
    - Beans (dried are cheaper than canned)
    - Tofu
    - Vegetables in season (in winter, that's stuff like cabbage, squash, turnips, brussels sprouts, onions, broccoli...)
    - Ground turkey (much leaner than beef, can be mixed with beef to make lower-fat burgers)