Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back to work and a few q's

Unhappy Back to work and a few q's

Okay, I'm due back to work on the 1st december - boohoo! I'm so worried how ds will take it being away from me (and me being away from him!!). At the moment I'm trying to bf exclusivly, but I find he still takes a 1oz supplement (formula) during the day. I have no idea how much to put in a bottle for him for each feed. I've read on Kellymom that he could take between 2 and 4oz per feeding - when I tell dh this he says no way it must be more! I will have a total of 1hour to either bf or express my milk each day at work (my lo will be in the crèche at my work), but I'm not sure if the dc prefer for me to come and feed ds or to let them do it As I work in a hospital I know it will probably be difficult for me to get away.

I'm also worried about my supply. I don't know why but I just can't seem to get it up! (hence, why ds is back to supplements) I try to pump, but more often than not I can't get the time to and on the very rare occasion that ds sleeps for 4hrs at night I'm too tired to get up and pump. I've been taking more milk plus for a couple of days, but have yet to see a difference, I eat oatmeal every morning, I drink 2-3 cups of fennel tea a day, I take a fennel supplement 3x a day and I drink on average 2 litres of water a day too! I try to take a nap with ds in the afternoons ,but it's not always possible so the tiredness isn't helping, I know. I'm worried my supply will just eventually disappear once I go back to work and I really do want the bfing to work for at least 6months if not longer.

The other thing worrying me is how he'll do sleeping. Right now it's impossible to get ds off to sleep any other way but in my arms or when I bw him with my wrap or rs. As soon as I try to put him down he wakes and starts to cry. At night we co-sleep which I'm ok with, but I feel dh isn't.

Ladies, I desperately need your help here! I'm getting so down and worried and need some help. I've posted a few of my issues before , but just needed to get it all off my chest. Any advice would be great.

Thanks for reading and so sorry it's such a long post!
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005
    Mummy to my DS , born 30 july 2008
    proud to have BF him for 8 months
    Now a Mummy for the 2nd time to my DD , born 15 june 2012 for 15 1/2months! Still whenever we can and

DS Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 15oz - 19.5inches
    4 yrs: 35lbs 4oz - 3feet 5.5inches
    5 yrs: 40lbs - 3feet 8inches

DD Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 13oz - 19.5inches
    6.5 months 12lbs 14oz - 26inches
    9 months 15lbs 13oz
    15months 20lbs 11oz - 30 inches

Default Re: Back to work and a few q's

First off. You are doing great. and everything will be fine. I promise. If you can do what you already have, you can do anything. I am not sure how old your LO is but the first three months are by far the worst.

LO will (as much as I hate to say it) be OK without you. DS and I had not been away from each other for more than 2 hours (and that was only once and hard for me). When I went back to work (9 hour work days/11-11.5 hrs away from my baby). He was a very long way away from me and I had no way of getting to him (I am so jealous of the creche by the way DS's is near hubby's work in a different town).

Talk to the dc and find out how they feel about you going down to feed. Baby is so much more efficient than a pump at getting out milk. If you are right there they may be OK with you coming down as and when you can. If not find a place close by your working area where you can pump.

In terms of increasing your supply - many mothers find fenugreek helps a lot. And make sure you drink enough water, most nurses I know are incapable of this - I think it is the problem getting away to take the time to pee and clean up that stops them drinking enough

I think it is 1-1.5 oz per hour in terms of how much to give LO.

There are lot more mamas who know more than I do about this though...
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Oh, and I forgot to let you know that while LO will not sleep anywhere but on mamas chest at home he sleeps in his pack and play at dare care. DH didnt like co-sleeping until he read the Dr. Sears baby book ...

Thanks for the advice and support. And I forgot to say my ds is 3 1/2months and will be 4 months when I start back.

I spoke to the crèche yesterday and they don't mind me going down to bf ds in the afternoons and obviously when I drop him off/pick him up I can give him a top up too. Thankfully, I only do 8 hr shifts, but as I work in radiology it can be really hectic sometimes that I'm not sure I'll even get the time to pump! It is good that there are quite a few girls in my work that have babies too and they bf/pump so at least I know I'll get support form them while I'm at work

I really hope you're right about ds sleeping ok in the crèche... I know there are 2 nurses for the 5/6 babies in each section so hopefully ds won't be too difficult a baby

Anyway, thanks again you've made me feel a bit better with your advice
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005
    Now a Mummy for the 2nd time to my DD , born 15 june 2012 for 15 1/2months! Still whenever we can and

DS Stats

DD Stats
    9 months 15lbs 13oz

forgot to say that we've just bought one of those cribs that go right next to our bed so that both me and dh are happy with co-sleeping. Hopefully that'll help somewhat too
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005

DS Stats

DD Stats
    9 months 15lbs 13oz

You could pump right when you start your hour-long break and then go down to BF your LO afterwards. I never had trouble with this - I would just get another letdown once my boobs realized that they were needed again after being pumped. It could help with keeping up supply as well as it would be two 'feedings' at that time instead of one.

Anyways, just a suggestion.

You'll make it work - don't worry. Perhaps you could schedule a 10-min break somewhere else in the day for pumping? I became very efficient at getting my pumping done within 10 minutes. I had a routine down which worked well for me. Getting a couple of ounces is better than getting nothing at all, right?

Good luck, mama!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky