Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk production dropping; up all night!

Angry Milk production dropping; up all night!

I've never had any breastfeeding problems before and I'm kind of at a loss right now. I started working full-time two weeks ago. The day I started back, my sweet baby decided to start waking up every two hours all night long. Needless to say, this has left me exhuasted. I'm pumping at work and getting fine results, but my production decreases throughout the day. First pump I get 5oz. Second, 4 oz. Third, 3 oz. My daughter recently started eating a lot more, too, so I'm barely pumping enough each day to get her through the next day. This means there is no extra milk leftover for my husband to give her a mid-night bottle. Therefore, I am the one who has to get up by my daugher every two hours. I am dying here. I've tried relaxation, eating oatmeal, nursing her as much as she wants whenever I'm home, but my evening milk production is not increasing. It just isn't enough to satisfy my daughter. She is getting enough milk to sustain her (lots of wet diapers), but only because she is eating every two hours. I'm contemplating giving her one bottle of formula a day just to help me get some rest.

I know you need to be well rested to make enough milk, but I can't get any rest because I'm NOT making enough. What can I do?

Default Re: Milk production dropping; up all night!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html

sounds like baby is reverse cycling
    there are some hints on that link.

how old is baby?

Baby is 11 weeks. She is eating a LOT during the day, as much as before or maybe more, so I didn't think it was reverse cycling. Co-sleeping isn't an option (my bed if full of dogs and a husband and many heavy blankets so it wouldn't be safe). She just isn't getting enough in the evening and at night. My breasts aren't full and she stays on the breast a lot longer than normal, trying to get milk that isnt' there. She eats every 1.5 to 2 hours once I get home from work, continuing into the night. I'm so tired!

11 weeks could be growth spurt thats common around that time!

can you come home and camp out on the the couch... do nothing but feed baby? and rest?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

there are some hints at the end of that link

this also:
    To speed milk production and increase overall milk supply, the key is to remove more milk from the breast and to do this frequently, so that less milk accumulates in the breast between feedings.

It sounds like reverse cycling to me too, maybe in combination with a growth spurt. My daughter did not eat less during the day when I went back to work either, but she did start waking up several times a night to nurse. It wasn't only about food, she wanted that emotional reconnection with me. I didn't discourage it because I liked reconnecting with her, too, and I was able to cosleep so it didn't affect my sleep much. But if it's not working for you, you may find that some of the tips in the link provided above will work for you for discouraging the frequent night feedings. If all else fails, she will probably slow down on her own in a few more weeks once she is used to not being with you all day.

It is also completely normal for your production to go down throughout the day. Most women, even ones that don't pump produce more milk in the morning and decrease as the day goes on. You can increase your milk production, though. There are supplements you can take and, like Andrea suggested, you can pump more often to stimulate your breasts to produce more milk.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

this might help also....
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/frequent-nursing.html

info in that link

Tips for coping with frequent nursing
    Fine-tune breastfeeding
    Adjust your expectations
    Set priorities
    Be prepared
    Maximize sleep
    Do you feel trapped at home?
    Additional Resources

All the advice given is good. I was having that problem months ago and I used Fenugreek and it worked really well for me.
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.