Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oh so tired!

Cool Oh so tired!

I have been BFing now for 5 months (and hope to continue) but i am finding myself very very tired these days. A friend told me that breastfeeding drains you of a lot of your energy. No matter how much rest i get i am still exhausted. I have a stye on my eye and i feel as if i have aged 20 years!! Was just wondering if anyone else feels like this and also if anyone can recommend any good vitamins to take to give me a bit of a boost.
    mummy to Izzy 2 yrs (BF 14 months)

Mummy to Rosa 5 months (BFing)
    Mummy to Freddie 5 months (Bfing)

Default Re: Oh so tired!

The vitamins you took while pregnant are fine to use. Also try to snack instead of doing 3 full meals. I found that more lighter meals work much better for my engery levels, salads, smoothies, cheese & crackers, plus my normal meals during the day. Great job on 5 months of bfing so far!!
    Joyce May 5th 1998
    Natthaniel Nov 16th 1999
    Abbigale expected July 2nd 2008

I had that problem with both LO's, but with my first I felt that the worst. I don't think I was taking care of myself as well as I did when DS was born. Keep up with your prenatals, first and foremost. They really do help out. What also helped me was drinking plenty of water, eating oatmeal and fresh spinach salads everyday, and try making yourself a healthy, fresh yogurt smoothie (like blueberries - the ultimate brain food). These would really give me a boost.

Hang in there!! You are doing great!
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

I am totally addicted to fresh spinach salads with sunflower seeds! (Since I cant have milk with this LO)
    Joyce May 5th 1998
    Natthaniel Nov 16th 1999
    Abbigale expected July 2nd 2008

I'm going on 14 mos. and am completely exhausted. Some how I don't think it'll get any better..... even when BF stops. I forsee complete exhaustion for the next 18 years!

Have you had your iron levels checked since giving birth? I just discovered (last Friday) that I have iron deficiency anemia. I've just been on iron supplements a couple of days and I already have more energy! (Don't go on those without bringing it up with your doc first, though, since it is possible to get too much iron, and if you DO have iron deficiency anemia, it's important to know WHY)

Anyway, I think it's a good idea to bring up fatigue problems with your doc (especially when it's gone on as long as 14mos postpartum like it has for you, milk.milk.lemonade). It could be any number of things, and your doc knows best which questions to ask. Breastfeeding can be an energy drain, but I don't think it should be quite so bad...how's your LO sleeping at night, mummiebee?
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

Thanks for all the advice peoples... I am back on my "pre baby/pregnancy" vits that are also for BFing . I also have a Dr appt next week re the iron thing as i have been iron deficient in the past. I am sleeping well through the night so maybe i am a wee bit iron deficient??? will see.
    mummy to Izzy 2 yrs (BF 14 months)

Mummy to Rosa 5 months (BFing)
    Mummy to Freddie 5 months (Bfing)

I've also been BFing for 5 months (DS was born at end of June) and one thing that has been critical is eating lots of protein. I definitely get more tired than usual but not sure if it is due to BFing or taking care of DS plus living the rest of my life - probably both. But consider upping your protein intake, my midwife said it is as or more important now than during pregnancy.

Just wanted to second the advice about nutrition, especially protein and snacking. Water helps, too! It's a pain to remember to drink all the time and a pain to have to pee ALL THE TIME but it really helps.

Good luck!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!