Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it time to start solids?

Default Is it time to start solids?

Hi all,
    Some advice needed:
    I have a 4 mo. old who is starting to change her eating pattern to every 2 hours and be fussy at night - eating some extra out of the bottle, etc.
    Diaper output is still excellent - but I know my supply is a bit low due to stress and not pumping well at work.
    I wanted to wait until 6 mo. to start solids - and I don't want to start cereal first, but I'm not sure I can make it that long without sleep - and due to the stress.
    What would you guys do?

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Default Re: Is it time to start solids?

The idea that solids will help an infant sleep thru the night is a myth. There is no truth to it. My son is almost 3 and has been eating 3 meals a days plus two snacks and didn't start Seeping thru until he was 31 months old.
    I wouldn't introduce solid food until the 6month point at least. There is plenty of research that shows that their digestive tracts are not ready until then and even then, relying a solids in any way shape or form to actually be helping with food is unrealistic. Foods introduced at the 6 month point are for fun and exploration. It takes months for them to understand that they "taste" with their tongue and even longer to actually associate food with hunger vs. YOU.
    We started playing with solids right around 6months when my son was exhibiting all the signs that he was ready. He could sit unassisted, had a pincher grasp and had broken two teeth. We ended up not really being ready until the 7 month point because that's when he would actually put food in his own mouth.
    And even with us starting that soon, and being to 3 full meals a day and snacks, my son still did not start associating food with hunger until after his 1st b-day.
    I'd wait. Not only do you risk your child not being physically ready, but adding solids to the mix IMO really adds much more stress to the mix. There is such a short period of time in your childs life where you are all they need. Just enjoy that for as long as the time is here. Because you blink your eyes and it's gone and you are FOREVER more faced with making sure that you are providing your child optimal nutrition (which you realize you have NOT been providing for your self in most cases) without falling into food ruts or the trappings of convenience snacks or junk food. There's the whole issue of organic vs non organic to deal with and honestly food is expensive. Just wait. I promise you that mountain will be here waiting for you to climb in another two or 3 months!

Way too lazy for formula

I'm in the same boat. LO was waking for just one feeding in the middle of the night and just the past couple nights have been waking twice. I also noticed that she nursed more this weekend (thought this would help me pump more today, but no dice). I thought she was going through a growth spurt. I'm just hoping she doesn't want more BM today

I totally agree with the health issues of introducing solids early. I'm NOT for it, so I agree with pp. But I just want to know what do I do between now and then with my little one who is eating every 2 hours? Is that ok for her? I guess it's better than introducing solids too early...thanks for the thoughts and glad to hear someone else is in the same boat.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

my lo is 8 months, has solids at least twice a day and STILL nurses every 2 hours - even through the night. It's perfectly okay.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    I totally agree with the health issues of introducing solids early. I'm NOT for it, so I agree with pp. But I just want to know what do I do between now and then with my little one who is eating every 2 hours? Is that ok for her? I guess it's better than introducing solids too early...thanks for the thoughts and glad to hear someone else is in the same boat.
    Yep. Nurse on Demand. It's fine.

Way too lazy for formula