Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What's an SNS, and do I need one?

Default What's an SNS, and do I need one?

Can someone please describe an SNS to me and how I would find one?

I'm not sure if I need one or not.

My baby is 4 mo. and she has been getting only bm - either nursing or what she takes from a bottle while I'm at work.

the problem is that I can only pump once during the day and because of that (and because of a case of mastitis) my supply is a bit low.

We do great on the weekends, but come Tuesday or Wednesday she gets fussy and my milk flow is slower - one breast produces less, also - and I know that the milk is there - I just need her to get it out!

I am concerned that I might have to start supplementing to get her to nurse. Would an SNS help me in this situation?

I'm already doing some herbal supplements.

And unfortunately, I can't really pump much anymore. Nor sure why - my body just decided to stop responding to the pump.

What do you guys think about the SNS?

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Default Re: What's an SNS, and do I need one?

4 months you can try suppliments in a cup,
    so that all the sucking needs are met at the breast.

have you talked to a lc?
    has your period returned?
    Some moms notice a drop in milk supply when their period returns
    but its only for a few days out of the month

breast compressions might help to keep the baby at the breast longer
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

Thanks for writing back so quickly!

Yeah, I've talked to my LC. I'm doing basically what she suggests, minus some of the pumping suggestions. Maybe I'm "lazy" but I have pumped TONS for my first baby and this baby - and pump everyday at work - sometimes I just get so tired of pumping that I don't do it.

Anyway, all that to say that I've tried breast compressions, am doing all the things the LC suggested - etc. But she is still fussy when the milk won't come out fast enough.

She takes 2 bottles a day at daycare, so I'm not sure if she'd put up with supplements in a cup (she's kind of picky) but I could try having DH give her supplements in a cup at home in the evening if necessary...

Today she was nursing every 2 hours - maybe this is a growth spurt?

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

An SNS is a supplemental nursing system. It is used to give the baby a supplement at the breast. Are you thinking that when the flow gets slow you could top her off with a supplement at the breast? What are you doing now? Are you giving a bottle after a feed when she gets frustrated? In that case it may help keep her interested not frustrated at the breast...any supplement she takes could interfere with the supply and demand so you would need to be aware to counter that.

What are some signs that are telling you your supply is low? You say you know the milk is there but she is not getting it out. Do you think she is too frustrated with flow to go for another let-down? Are you only able to pump once during the work day due to your schedule? Could you add some pumping in the evening after she goes to bed? Some moms have success with power-pumping which is pumping for 10 minutes, resting for 10 minutes and repeating for an hour. Done at about the same time each day this has given some moms the optimal effect. Also, using a heating pad for a few minutes before pumping helps some moms. Doing compressions while pumping can be helpful too. After double pumping, take a few extra minutes and pump one side at a time while doing compressions to really empty the breast. If you can manage hands free pumping (check kellymom.com for info) you could continue to double pump while massaging and compressing. This may help you feel that you have more completely emptied which will give your body the signal to make milk faster.

If you think flow preference may be an issue b/c of bottle feedings, this resource may help. It discusses how to feed with bottles in a way that is more like breastfeeding to minimize flow preference. You can also read about at-breast supplementation at this site as well.

Hang in there. It is difficult to combine working, BFing and pumping. Kudos to you mama!!!
    Last edited by @llli*umbribyz; November 16th, 2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: posted too soon, hit the wrong button. oops!
    2001 2004 2008

Maybe I'm "lazy" but I have pumped TONS for my first baby and this baby - and pump everyday at work - sometimes I just get so tired of pumping that I don't do it.
    You are not lazy. You are doing what works for you.

She takes 2 bottles a day at daycare, so I'm not sure if she'd put up with supplements in a cup (she's kind of picky) but I could try having DH give her supplements in a cup at home in the evening if necessary...
    Not sure if day care would go for paced feedings. What kind of bottles/nipples are you using?

Anyway, all that to say that I've tried breast compressions, am doing all the things the LC suggested - etc. But she is still fussy when the milk won't come out fast enough.
    Sounds like you are doing the right things.

Today she was nursing every 2 hours - maybe this is a growth spurt?
    Could be. How long has she been fussy about flow? Just this week? Maybe camping in and nursing a ton today can get you back on track.
    2001 2004 2008