Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can Chai Affect Supply?

Default Can Chai Affect Supply?

It's that time of year when I crave all things spicy and hot. For years my obsession has been chai [either tea bags or lattes]. I currently have a mother's milk tea bag every morning [not so much to increase supply, but I like the flavor--call me crazy]. Everything in moderation, but I am looking to change my morning ritual and have about four 16oz cups/week... The decaf Tazo type I make with warm organic milk is a good substitue for my craving for pumpkin pie when evening falls and I feel snacky. I have had 3 cups in the past 2 months and haven't noticed that DS reacts differently to my BM [no noticable tummy or gas troubles].

Have any of you heard whether the following ingredients/herbs can hinder milk production?
    rooibos [a caffeine free tea leaf--or it might even be a twig/stick!]
    cardamom
    cinnamon
    ginger
    cloves
    chicory
    star anise

Thanks!

Default Re: Can Chai Affect Supply?

I'm no expert, but everything on your list there seems fine to me with the exception of star anise. I have read somewhere that prey and nursing mommas shouldn't have it. Let me see if I can find the link...

Mind you if it was a teeny amount in a tea blend, likely not a problem, but let me see of I can find that info for you.

BTW: the title of your post initially cracked me up because Chai is my DH's last name! LOL
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

IDK, but my DF makes hot buttered chai that is TDF!!!
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

I found info that said that anise can be used as a galactagogue, however japanese and chinese star anise should be avoided. More info here.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

i used to work at starbucks and i just loved a soy chai latte with cinnamon.. Mmm...

sorry for the rant.
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    I found info that said that anise can be used as a galactagogue, however japanese and chinese star anise should be avoided. More info here.
    That was the one!

Thanks Hillary!
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessruff View Post
    BTW: the title of your post initially cracked me up because Chai is my DH's last name! LOL
    Glad to give you a chuckle!

Thanks ladies for all your input and the link! Somehow I never came across the article on kellymom! Exactly what I needed!

*Johanna
    BFing, Puming, Stockpiling, CDing and babywearing WOHM to Thom and wife to Wes