Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help weight gain issues

Default Need help weight gain issues

Hello, My daughtr is 2 1/2 months old and her Doc is telling me to supplement with formula because he is not happy with weight gain...
    She was born at 7.2 oz. dropped down to 6.5 oz in the hospital & now is 9.3 and a half oz.
    She is gaining weight but is now in the 5th percentile on the chart & he said that is too low.
    We had a few issues right from the start.... my daughter was tongue tied and not nursing effectively in the beginning. I was also told in the beginning to nurse only 10 minutes each side. Now I am nursing longer but don't know what to do about supplementing. Please help... I really want to continue with breastfeeding!

Default Re: Need help weight gain issues

Hi Mama! How many wet/poopy diapers in a day?

check out this site for info about weight gain issues.

My baby was always right around 5/10th percentile. Sometimes babies are just small. I don't believe it means that you need to give formula, necessarily. Are you or your husband small?

ETA: Here is the chart for breastfed babies. Most pediatricians use a chart for formula fed babies.
    Last edited by @llli*beccamomof2; November 15th, 2008 at 09:45 PM.
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

hi, I get like 6-8 pretty good wet diapers and like 2-3 seedy yellow color poops. Now she did drop from 25% to 10% to 5 %. Should I be worried about that?

how did you figure out baby was tounge tied?
    WEre you working with a lc?
    She might be more help then the doctor...

Well, diaper output sounds GREAT!

When I look at that chart, I am getting that she has hovered around 10th percentile. It is normal for baby to lose weight right after birth...especially if she was born via c-section or if you had IV fluids. So, I wouldn't even look at the birth weight. So, 6lbs 5ozs is just over 10th percentile. And now she is 9lbs 3ozs which is also very close to 10th percentile. The biggest concern with weight gain is big dips on the chart.

I don't think you have anything to be worried about, but I am hoping that some other moms can also chime in with their personal experience on this.

Some people find comfort by renting a hospital grade scale to ensure that baby is gaining OK. Also, the scale you used in the hospital could have been different than the scale at the pediatricians office.
    Last edited by @llli*beccamomof2; November 16th, 2008 at 08:08 AM.
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

Diaper count sounds good.

have you tired to pump? I had to supplement LO...I pumped after each nursing session and then fed that to my LO. It added up to about 0.5 oz to 1.5 oz each feeding. This kept us from having to use formula.

You can rent a pump from the hospital for a month at about the same cost as a can of formula.
    Mom to baby girl 7/15/08 and baby boy 4/13/10.

breast feeding again

I'm a mama.