Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fore/hindmilk questions

Default Fore/hindmilk questions

I have some questions regarding fore/hindmilk. I apologize in advance if some of the questions sound silly. I am a first time mom and all I do is ask questions!

First a little history...

I have a gorgeous 7 week old baby boy. He is gaining weight nicely and having several wet diapers. I started BF him right from birth...despite a minor breast infection, the BF is going fine. Well, sort of.

I have an OALD which results in an abundance of milk and uncomfortable engorgement issues. I was told that I have fore/hindmilk imbalance which leads to gassiness and fussiness in my DS. To counteract this problem, I try to pump before each feeding, feed only on one breast until it empties (usually a few feedings) and feed reclined.

Here are my questions:

1. How much foremilk does one produce (during each feeding)? Is it even possible to know?

2. My DS usually feeds every 3 hours (sometimes more)--since I feed him on the one breast for a couple feedings, is there foremilk left in the breast when I feed him the second time around? Or has it all been expelled when I fed him the first time? I'm asking this question because sometimes he feeds for 10minutes during the first and second feeding and I'm concerned that all I am feeding him is foremilk (which leads to gassiness?)

3. Since I pump before each feeding, is the expressed milk worth freezing? Suppose all I am pumping is foremilk, I don't want to feed my DS this milk due to the lack of nutrients. (I am currently not bottlefeeding, but may in the future).

4. I was told to feed reclined to slowdown my milk and also to feed the baby upright to reduce gas...how do I do this comfortably?

I hope my questions make sense.

Thanks for the advice/help!

Default Re: Fore/hindmilk questions

Congratulations on the baby and on gettin goff to a pretty good start with breastfeeding! This link may help answer some of your questions-and has pics of how to do the reclining position:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    Also, pumping before EVERY feeding might be causing you to produce even more milk, because your milk supply keeps up with demand.
    There is also a board on this site specifically about oversupply and OALD. You could check that out.
    Best of luck!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Default Re: Fore/hindmilk questions

Did you get the replies to this question on the other thread?? I think your question was posted twice!

SEE HERE

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon