Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night feeds and diapering question

Default Night feeds and diapering question

I'm wondering if other moms change diapers during night feeds. I've been in the habit of changing my eight weekd old dd's diaper after every feed, even at night, but after speaking with a friend of mine a few days ago, I've changed to only changing her diaper every other feed at night (unless she's pooped, had a leek or I can tell she's really wet). My friend said that she never changed her ds during the night and she thinks this helped him learn to sleep through the night since he wasn't getting the extra stimulus of the diaper change during the night feeds.

I never have any problem with my dd going back to sleep during the night, as I just feed her, change her, and put her back in the crib and she goes right back to sleep on her own. However, I'm wondering if it might help her to learn to sleep through the night without the 'extra' feeds if I stop changing her. Right now I put her down for the night around 7:00 or 7:30, then she's up to eat at around 12:00, 3:30, then 6:30. We've never had any problem with diaper rash, and I'd like to keep it that way, and I honestly feel guiltly not changing her diaper after every feed, but I'd like to hear what anyone else has to say on this...

Default Re: Night feeds and diapering question

I say keeping doing what's working for her/you! I too changed my little ones diapers at night....I didn't want them sitting in a wet diaper.
    I think having a dry diaper would help them sleep longer.

I would nurse on one side of my breast then change their diaper then nurse on the other side.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

I changed with every feeding in the beginning but once she was a few months old I started just feeding her w/out changing, unless it was poop. I quickly learned that I had a limited window of opportunity to get her back to sleep and a diaper change just threw that whole thing out the window. I guess my thinking is that if she hadn't woken up, the diaper would still be wet and I just wouldn't know it.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

I stopped changing at about 8 weeks but I say go with what works for you. There is no guarantee that all babies would sleep through the night because they weren't changed. I think each baby is different and is ready to STN at their own pace. That being said, it is worth a try!
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

At that age, when DD woke up at night, DH would change her and then bring her to me and I'd nurse her and put her back to bed. This worked really well for us because then I didn't have to worry about the stimulus of changing her AFTER nursing.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post
    This worked really well for us because then I didn't have to worry about the stimulus of changing her AFTER nursing.
    In my case my little ones would nurse on one side then fall asleep and I wanted them to get a full belly, so I would change their diaper to give a little stimulus then nurse on the other side.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy-to-landin View Post
    I say keeping doing what's working for her/you! I too changed my little ones diapers at night....I didn't want them sitting in a wet diaper.
    I think having a dry diaper would help them sleep longer.

I would nurse on one side of my breast then change their diaper then nurse on the other side.
    this is what worked for us as well. At about 6 months we stopped changing at all (unless there was a poop)-at night I mean!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I would do what works best for the two of you.

I no longer change my LO after every feeding (unless there is poop) because I felt that the diaper changes were waking him up but if your LO is sleeping though it and falls back asleep with no problem...why not?

Sounds like you are doing a great job
    I love to , My husband is finally on board with , I at work

is one of the best things I have ever done besides having my

I agree. I'd stick with what works. It sounds like your baby doesn't have any problem getting back to sleep (and that's important to know how to do also), so I'm not sure you need to "fix" it. From the beginning, my baby would have slept through the night, so for nighttime feedings we start out by changing, which wakes us both up just enough to get a good feeding and ease back to sleep. I imagine having a dry diaper helps him to relax to get back to sleep and to stay asleep longer too.