Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: refusing a bottle from the sitter

Exclamation refusing a bottle from the sitter

My DS has been taking a bottle from myself and my husband off and on. He is now five months old and just started at the sitters. He will go 6hrs and only take an ounce of breastmilk from his bottle. When my husband picks him up he will take a bottle from him without any problems. I also told her that he will take bm from the sippy cup, but she seems disinterested in trying I have a very alert and attentive five month old who is captivated by the other kids at the sitters. I explained to her that he needs to be separated and nursed somewhere a little quieter, but she does not seem to take my advice. I am getting upset about the issure and I don't know if I am in the wrong. Should I find a new sitter who has more one on one time to devote to him or will he adjust?

Default Re: refusing a bottle from the sitter

I can't really relate bc my dd won't take a bottle from any of us, but just by reading your post I can tell you are concerned. My instinct would be to maybe shop around for a different sitter. It seems that your LO will take the bottle if put in the environment which best suits him. If your sitter is unable to devote the amount of time needed and eliminate distractions necessary to get him to eat, then switch! This is your baby and I'm sure it's hard enough being away from him for 6 hrs, you shouldn't need this extra worry. I would find a sitter who made sure my baby was eating and who would go to whatever lengths necessary to make him comfortable. Maybe in time he would adjust, but why put him through that? He is no doubt already missing mommy as it is! I hope things get better for you! Good luck!

some babies can wait for mom at that age.
    If your gut is telling you to find somebody else then go for it, how is your child acting for your sitter? How much does he eat at night?
    He just might not need milk during the day when he is away from you.
    as long as he is happy and playing? If your hubby is willing to give him the bottle as soon as he gets to day care and that makes your child happy
    that might work.
    good luck!

My dd won't take a bottle well at the sitter either, and there is only one other little girl. She just gets so distracted. For that matter, she won't breastfeed over there either (we have tried that too, because its only 2minutes from where I work). The sitter started sitting her in a high chair when the other little girl eats and giving her a sippy cup with bm in it and she eats that great--she loves "feeling grown up" I think. And she can look around and still see everything. The sitter just can't leave the other little girl to nurse Haylee in a quiet spot, so we had to adapt.

If the sitter is not keen on giving your lo a sippy cup, try not giving the option of a bottle. Just take sippy cups full of milk and tell her to try that. It may be that the sitter just doesn't have a lot of experience with breastfed babies, which tend to prefer the boob to all others even if they will take a bottle under certain circumstances.

good luck and lots of hugs--I know how worried you must be. Everyone told me she would be ok if she didn't eat, but I just couldn't stand the thought of her being hungry, even if she was otherwise happy!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Thank you for your advice and help. He is finally taking a bottle , day 3 of me being back to work, she took my advice on how to give him a bottle. There is a small pillow I prop him on for night feedings and with my scent and his on it, it seems to soothe him to take his bottle. Also he does not like her holding him when he is taking a bottle..who knew?

Mother of Gavin born 3-14-06

i am happy to hear things are going better. now you can relax a little!